Not all windows appplications visible in Win 7 HVM (Qubes 3.2)

Philipp Raschdorff

Apr 28, 2017, 12:54:06 PM4/28/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm using a windows 7 pro HVM under Qubes 3.2 with Qubes Tools 3.2.2.3.
Unfortiunately not all windows applications are available with the App
menu and I can't add them via "Add more Shortcuts..."

Unfortunately something vital like Internet Explorer is missing

I have run qvm-sync-appmenus, but this didn't help.

Is someone else having the same problem?

- P

Piit

May 3, 2017, 4:58:29 PM5/3/17
to qubes-users

I've found the solution for this.
Qubes is syncing all applications (more correctly all application shortcuts) from the following folder in the windows HVM:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

But not all applications shortcuts can be found here - some shortcuts like Internet Explorer, Notepad, CMD ... are located in the startmenu-folder of the user, which is located here:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If some applications are missing in the Qubes "Add more Shortcuts ..." menu, you just need to copy the shortcuts from the user startmenu folder (c:\Users\...) to the general application folder (c:\ProgramData\...).

Then back in dom0 enter qvm-sync-appmenus YourWindowsHVMName and the new applications are available to be added.

If this info is not present in the qubes docu this should be added,for other newbies having same problem.

- P