Debian-8 Update Hangs

amadaus

Sep 17, 2016, 10:21:44 AM9/17/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
In Qubes OS 3.2 rc2 updating Debian 8 via VM Manager and the terminal
resulted in failure - it hangs forever. Consequently I tried a fresh
install of OS 3.2 rc3. I successfully uddated Dom0, Fedora23 and Whonix
templates BUT when it came to Debian-8 it stubbornly refuses to update.
Anyone any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong.
PS the command i'm using in terminal is: sudo apt-get update && sudo
apt-get dist-upgrade.

Andrew David Wong

Sep 17, 2016, 5:17:48 PM9/17/16
to amadaus, qubes...@googlegroups.com

amadaus

Sep 18, 2016, 1:50:15 AM9/18/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Andrew David Wong:
> On 2016-09-17 07:21, amadaus wrote:
>> In Qubes OS 3.2 rc2 updating Debian 8 via VM Manager and the terminal
>> resulted in failure - it hangs forever. Consequently I tried a fresh
>> install of OS 3.2 rc3. I successfully uddated Dom0, Fedora23 and Whonix
>> templates BUT when it came to Debian-8 it stubbornly refuses to update.
>> Anyone any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong.
>> PS the command i'm using in terminal is: sudo apt-get update && sudo
>> apt-get dist-upgrade.
>

> I've noticed that when I update Debian and Whonix templates using that
> command, the terminal appears to hang, but the template actually
> updates successfully. Can you try running the same update command again
> afterward? It should complete successfully (with 0 new packages
> updated, available, etc.) the second time.

Here is the output from D8 terminal

user@debian-8:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Get:1 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates InRelease [63.1 kB]
Hit http://deb.qubes-os.org jessie InRelease

Get:2 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/main amd64 Packages [304 kB]
Get:3 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
[2,506 B]
Get:4 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
[14 B]
Hit http://deb.qubes-os.org jessie/main amd64 Packages

Get:5 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/contrib Translation-en
[1,211 B]
Get:6 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/main Translation-en [162
kB]
Get:7 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates/non-free Translation-en
[14 B]
Ign http://deb.qubes-os.org jessie/main Translation-en_US

Ign http://deb.qubes-os.org jessie/main Translation-en

100% [Waiting for headers]
It is always at this pointthat the system hangs for hours.

amadaus

Sep 24, 2016, 4:20:23 AM9/24/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
amadaus:
Solved
Instead of using command sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade - which always fails. Use the shortened command sudo
apt-get dist-upgrade - it worked a treat!

signature.asc