TOR browser updates.

William Fisher

Nov 19, 2018, 9:39:24 PM11/19/18
to qubes-users
How do I update the TOR browsers at the Template VM level? I've updated TOR at the APP level but it doesn't stay updated.

Антон Чехов

Nov 20, 2018, 1:29:04 AM11/20/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 3:39:24 AM UTC+1, William Fisher wrote:
> How do I update the TOR browsers at the Template VM level? I've updated TOR at the APP level but it doesn't stay updated.

I updated my template-vm (whonix-gw-14, whonix-ws-14 and sys-whonix) this week via console (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) and the latest TOR browser was downloaded.

I started a disposable whonix-vm and checked (help -> about tor browser) the version and it was 8.0.3 which should be the latest.
Starting anon-whonix-vm was not updated (8.0) but tor-browser did download the latest version upon opening it (help -> about tor browser) and it stays updated.

brenda...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2018, 8:41:54 AM11/20/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 1:29:04 AM UTC-5, Антон Чехов wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 3:39:24 AM UTC+1, William Fisher wrote:
> > How do I update the TOR browsers at the Template VM level? I've updated TOR at the APP level but it doesn't stay updated.
>
> I updated my template-vm (whonix-gw-14, whonix-ws-14 and sys-whonix) this week via console (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) and the latest TOR browser was downloaded.

I currently avoid dist-upgrade and stick with upgrade. But YMMV.

With that said, it's important to keep cloned copies of all your templates a few update versions back...just in case. Can be difficult to recover a botched upgrade once sys-net won't work any more. :)

> I started a disposable whonix-vm and checked (help -> about tor browser) the version and it was 8.0.3 which should be the latest.
> Starting anon-whonix-vm was not updated (8.0) but tor-browser did download the latest version upon opening it (help -> about tor browser) and it stays updated.

The explanation for the different behaviors is that, unlike most software in the templates, TB is stored in the private volume (in ~/.tb). When updated in the template, the template's private volume receives the new TB version.

- DVMs are always started with a temporary copy of the parent template's current private volume. Hence the DVM automatically used the apt-get upgraded ~/.tb dir from the template.

- AppVMs keep their own separate (non-updating) private volume after being created, so they do not inherit the template's update to ~/.tb. However once you update TB in the AppVM, since it resides in the private volume, it will remain updated after AppVM restarts.

Brendan

Patrick Schleizer

Nov 20, 2018, 10:31:37 AM11/20/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
William Fisher:
> How do I update the TOR browsers at the Template VM level? I've updated TOR at the APP level but it doesn't stay updated.

New documentation page just now created focusing only on updating Tor
Browser in Qubes-Whonix:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Tor_Browser

jean-...@protonmail.ch

Nov 21, 2018, 3:42:10 PM11/21/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
brendan.hoar wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 13:41
> I currently avoid dist-upgrade and stick with upgrade.
> But YMMV.
>
> With that said, it's important to keep cloned copies of
> all your templates a few update versions back...just in
> case. Can be difficult to recover a botched upgrade once
> sys-net won't work any more. :)

Any particular reason? It has been the way I did
updates/upgrades since Qubes 3.2 (I am using Qubes 4 now)
and I can't recall any problems so far. I can't recall why I
do it this way anymore either, it just became a habit.

Thanks for your explanation, I did not know the details. And
thanks @Patrick Schleizer for the new documentation page,
it's much appreciated.

Lorenzo Lamas

Nov 23, 2018, 2:24:47 PM11/23/18
to qubes-users

Is there any particular reason for advising to user TB's internal updater in existing AppVM's? Afaik it does not verify GPG sigs so updating through Tor Browser Downloader is more secure.