opening links in another VM opens two browsers

qubenix

May 10, 2018, 10:57:36 PM5/10/18
to qubes-users
Hey everyone! Hope you are all doing well.

I followed the guide here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/tips-and-tricks/
so links clicked in one debian-9 AppVM will open in separate debian-9
AppVM. What actually happens is interesting.

If I have firefox running in the destination VM already, everything
works as expected. The link opens a new tab in the proper AppVM.
However, if firefox is not currently running, a clicked link will open
the link in a browser in both VMs.

Any ideas?

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

awokd

May 12, 2018, 9:49:36 AM5/12/18
to qubenix, qubes-users
On Fri, May 11, 2018 2:56 am, qubenix wrote:
> Hey everyone! Hope you are all doing well.
>
> I followed the guide here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/tips-and-tricks/
> so links clicked in one debian-9 AppVM will open in separate debian-9
> AppVM. What actually happens is interesting.
>
> If I have firefox running in the destination VM already, everything
> works as expected. The link opens a new tab in the proper AppVM.
> However, if firefox is not currently running, a clicked link will open
> the link in a browser in both VMs.

Tried to recreate but couldn't. It might be a function of the application
you are using. What happens if you click links in a different app?

qubenix

May 12, 2018, 9:36:52 PM5/12/18
to awokd, qubes-users
awokd:
You're right, in other applications everything works as expected. The
app in question is discord for the record, and I'm not surprised it's
doing unexpected/unwanted things. That's why I was just testing it out
in a dedicated VM. Thanks for the tip.