nouveau driver minor screen tearing advice

Nautilus Maximus

Feb 17, 2017, 11:35:03 AM2/17/17
to qubes-users
Hi all,
I thought I'd ask if any one had any tips or tricks on fixing minor screen tearing with the nouveau driver. I've looked through the threads, most are for the older version of qubes or installing propriety drivers. For me it's not a major issue just an annoyance especially watching videos etc. Disabling composition doesn't work for me unfortunately. Thanks for you time and support.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Feb 17, 2017, 8:22:38 PM2/17/17
to qubes-users
W dniu piątek, 17 lutego 2017 17:35:03 UTC+1 użytkownik Nautilus Maximus napisał:
> Hi all,
> I thought I'd ask if any one had any tips or tricks on fixing minor screen tearing with the nouveau driver. I've looked through the threads, most are for the older version of qubes or installing propriety drivers. For me it's not a major issue just an annoyance especially watching videos etc. Disabling composition doesn't work for me unfortunately. Thanks for you time and support.

Launch Window Manager Tweaks, go to Compositor tab and enable "Synchronize drawing to the vertical blank". Worked for me.

Nautilus Maximus

Feb 18, 2017, 9:24:18 AM2/18/17
to qubes-users
On Saturday, 18 February 2017 02:35:03 UTC+10, Nautilus Maximus wrote:
> Hi all,
> I thought I'd ask if any one had any tips or tricks on fixing minor screen tearing with the nouveau driver. I've looked through the threads, most are for the older version of qubes or installing propriety drivers. For me it's not a major issue just an annoyance especially watching videos etc. Disabling composition doesn't work for me unfortunately. Thanks for you time and support.

I have done that; however, the video tearing still persists. Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate it.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Feb 18, 2017, 5:05:06 PM2/18/17
to qubes-users
If You're using VLC to watch videos, change the video output to X11.

Nautilus Maximus

Feb 18, 2017, 7:23:43 PM2/18/17
to qubes-users
On Saturday, 18 February 2017 02:35:03 UTC+10, Nautilus Maximus wrote:
> Hi all,
> I thought I'd ask if any one had any tips or tricks on fixing minor screen tearing with the nouveau driver. I've looked through the threads, most are for the older version of qubes or installing propriety drivers. For me it's not a major issue just an annoyance especially watching videos etc. Disabling composition doesn't work for me unfortunately. Thanks for you time and support.

Ok. I'm not even sure if my graphics card is being utilized. I've tried the usual grep commands to check but the commands do not seem to work. I'll have to research more and put my results on here to hopefully help others.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Feb 18, 2017, 8:06:13 PM2/18/17
to qubes-users
If the monitor is plugged into it then it is utilized. If You're using a laptop with both integrated and a discrete graphics card You need to install bumblebee to be able to utilize the discrete card.

Nautilus Maximus

Feb 18, 2017, 8:51:17 PM2/18/17
to qubes-users
On Saturday, 18 February 2017 02:35:03 UTC+10, Nautilus Maximus wrote:
> Hi all,
> I thought I'd ask if any one had any tips or tricks on fixing minor screen tearing with the nouveau driver. I've looked through the threads, most are for the older version of qubes or installing propriety drivers. For me it's not a major issue just an annoyance especially watching videos etc. Disabling composition doesn't work for me unfortunately. Thanks for you time and support.

Yeah it is plugged into the 770, I tried to over complicate things. Everything displays fine it's just the minor tearing when moving windows and watching youtube, netflix etc. For me it's not a major issue and I am quite happy with Qubes as a daily diver. It kind of reminds me of using the old legacy windows 98 preformance wise. Is it an acceleration/buffering issue and is their a way to fix it? I don't know the platform is so new and the community is so few. I don't want to install nvidia because a dom0 update in the future might break the os.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Feb 18, 2017, 9:58:58 PM2/18/17
to qubes-users
Dunno about the interface but youtube plays much more smoothly to me in Chrome than in Firefox so maybe try switching browsers? As for the acceleration issues, this more of a nouveau issue than Qubes issue, nouveau drivers are much slower than their proprietary counterparts.

Nautilus Maximus

Feb 19, 2017, 2:12:28 AM2/19/17
to qubes-users
On Saturday, 18 February 2017 02:35:03 UTC+10, Nautilus Maximus wrote:
> Hi all,
> I thought I'd ask if any one had any tips or tricks on fixing minor screen tearing with the nouveau driver. I've looked through the threads, most are for the older version of qubes or installing propriety drivers. For me it's not a major issue just an annoyance especially watching videos etc. Disabling composition doesn't work for me unfortunately. Thanks for you time and support.

I have installed chrome, the screen tearing issue is still occurring. performance of chrome is better as there is less stuttering.