Qubes not boot from USB Stick

myblackc...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 12:05:24 PM4/17/18
to qubes-users
Hello community,

i verify the Iso file from the Qubes main site successfully.

Now i following the installation guide to Install the Iso image with rufus on my USB Stick. I use Windows10 at time.

I've followed all the steps, but the operating system just will not start.

I see some Linux commands but then I only find a black screen.

What iam doing wrong?

About your help i would be very happy.

If you need some much more details, pls let me know.

Thanks and regards

alex.mo...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 1:31:32 PM4/17/18
to qubes-users

hello,
i have the same problem.
i think it is a problem with a dedicated gpu.
it is not possible to deactivated my gpu in the bios.
i think if change the parameter in the bootXX.cfg it is possible to start the install also i can't change the parameter.
ps: qubes 3.2 run without problems on my mibook 13"

sorry for my bad english

mfg Alexander

Black Beard

Apr 17, 2018, 2:32:15 PM4/17/18
to qubes-users
Hello,

i heard that rufus fails most time by creating a Linux Distribution on a Usb Stick.

Try to copy the files with Unetbootin to your Usb Stick.

Greetz

alex.mo...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 2:42:57 PM4/17/18
to qubes-users
i have my usb stick created with dd. the install with the same stick works great with a other thinkpad.

myblackc...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 8:25:29 AM4/18/18
to qubes-users
Am Dienstag, 17. April 2018 20:42:57 UTC+2 schrieb alex.mo...@gmail.com:
> i have my usb stick created with dd. the install with the same stick works great with a other thinkpad.

Hey,

What does the abbreviation "dd" stand for?

Greetz

myblackc...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 9:06:28 AM4/18/18
to qubes-users
Ah sorry,

you sure mean the dd mode.

Iam searching for some tools like this.

regards

Steve Coleman

Apr 18, 2018, 9:17:52 AM4/18/18
to qubes-users
On 04/18/18 09:06, myblackc...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ah sorry,
>
> you sure mean the dd mode.

The program dd is a standard Unix utility

/usr/bin/dd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

myblackc...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 12:03:11 PM4/18/18
to qubes-users
Hello people,

First of all thanks for your help.

So, I have the image as on the Qubes side provided in dd fashion sizzling on the stick.

My bios settings:

- https://picload.org/view/dogoirwi/img_20180418_163510.jpg.html

- https://picload.org/view/dogoirww/img_20180418_163513.jpg.html

- https://picload.org/view/dogoidgr/img_20180418_163527.jpg.html

I did not have the stick in the USB port when i done the shot of the bios. But it is recognized as Efi.

The stick boots well, but you only see short chains of command and then the monitor stays black and nothing happens anymore.

As I was advised, I pressed the key combination Ctrl + Alt + F1, to no avail. I also had Unetbootin in use. Since Qubes is based on Fedora, I have also promoted the Iso as such on the stick. Hope it was the correct way. : ???:

Can it be due to the bios settings? Somehow it seems to me that some process prevents the boats?

I would be very grateful to you for your help.

Thanks in advance

alex.mo...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 12:24:13 PM4/18/18
to qubes-users
i am note sure, but disable your switchable graphic

awokd

Apr 19, 2018, 4:09:26 AM4/19/18
to alex.mo...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Tue, April 17, 2018 5:31 pm, alex.mo...@gmail.com wrote:

> hello, i have the same problem. i think it is a problem with a dedicated
> gpu. it is not possible to deactivated my gpu in the bios. i think if
> change the parameter in the bootXX.cfg it is possible to start the
> install also i can't change the parameter. ps: qubes 3.2 run without
> problems on my mibook 13"

Can you boot and install in legacy mode? Might want to try that first. If
not, and assuming you are using UEFI, see here how to edit the
configuration options for the installer:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#change-installer-kernel-parameters-in-uefi

If you want to try to disable your secondary graphics, add
xen-pciback.hide=(02:00.0) to boot options. 02:00.0 is an example, check
first by booting with a Debian CD or something and do a "sudo lspci" to
find the actual BDF.

myblackc...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2018, 8:25:04 AM4/23/18
to qubes-users
Hey,

Qubes will not boot.

For this probleme i install Fedora on Virtualbox and copy the Image with the command "dd if=Qubes-R4.0-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync" successfully on my device.

The probleme by this the Stick boot and i can see some Linux commands. After this, the screen is only black and nothing happened.

This are my Bios settings:

https://picload.org/view/dorgorpl/img_2 ... 4.jpg.html

https://picload.org/view/dorgorpi/img_2 ... 9.jpg.html

Hope, that someone can help.