Adding a Firefox add-on error to -dvm ?

22...@tutamail.com

May 6, 2019, 1:58:48 PM5/6/19
to qubes-users
I used to be able to add "add-ons" to my -dvm's (e.g. HHTPS Everywhere, No Script, etc...). I would periodically update these add-ons in the -dvm.

Recently I noticed an add-on needed update and when I went to update it, it says it was no longer compatible? I knew enough to start the -dvm using gnome->terminal->firefox in -dvm however this time it didn't allow me to update the add-on?

Not sure this is a security enhancement with a recent update but any feedback would be appreciated...I hate running scripts on random webpages...

Thx rip22...

Daniel Allcock

May 6, 2019, 2:37:12 PM5/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, 22...@tutamail.com
On Mon, 6 May 2019 10:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
22...@tutamail.com wrote:

> Recently I noticed an add-on needed update and when I went to update
> it, it says it was no longer compatible? I knew enough to start the
> -dvm using gnome->terminal->firefox in -dvm however this time it
> didn't allow me to update the add-on?

Perhaps this is a side effect of firefox's recent (last day or two)
failure to update some key, leading everyone's firefox's to reject all
addons? google this and you will find tons of people complaining.
You can circumvent this by disabling signing altogether (!?!).
Obviously it's ridiculous for me to suggest this on the qubes list; you
should not install unsigned updates. But I was fine doing this for
my already-installed addons, whose signatures had been checked before.
Once they come up with a fix, I will turn signing back on and then
update.

(What worked for me was to set xpinstall.signatures.required to false
in about:config. Apparently this setting is only available on dev
builds, which the stock Fedora firefox seems to be.)

Best,
Daniel

haaber

May 6, 2019, 9:32:28 PM5/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> On Mon, 6 May 2019 10:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
> 22...@tutamail.com wrote:
>
>> Recently I noticed an add-on needed update and when I went to update
>> it, it says it was no longer compatible? I knew enough to start the
>> -dvm using gnome->terminal->firefox in -dvm however this time it
>> didn't allow me to update the add-on?
>
> Perhaps this is a side effect of firefox's recent (last day or two)
> failure to update some key, leading everyone's firefox's to reject all
> addons? google this and you will find tons of people complaining.
> You can circumvent this by disabling signing altogether (!?!).
> Obviously it's ridiculous for me to suggest this on the qubes list; you
> should not install unsigned updates. But I was fine doing this for
> my already-installed addons, whose signatures had been checked before.
> Once they come up with a fix, I will turn signing back on and then
> update.
The update is through on debian (called firefox 60.6.2-esr), android
(different version number) and I guess also on fedora (but I have no
fedora anymore, so I cannot tell you. Just update all of your templateVMs.

Jon deps

May 7, 2019, 3:33:27 AM5/7/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
just use chromium till whonix-ws and ESR get updated IMO ,

pretty lame FF is calling it a bug, when apparently it was them
forgetting to update their middleman certificates or so

found out chromium is much faster anyway :(

Jon deps

May 7, 2019, 3:35:30 AM5/7/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/7/19 1:32 AM, haaber wrote:
fwiw not debian-9 template update here

user@debian-9-1:~$ sudo apt-get install firefox-esr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
firefox-esr is already the newest version (60.6.1esr-1~deb9u1).

awokd

May 8, 2019, 2:32:24 AM5/8/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

The new Tor Browser package with updated certificate and working addons
is out. Use update-torbrowser in your whonix-ws template to upgrade to
8.0.9.

Jon deps

May 9, 2019, 8:32:32 PM5/9/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
any guess what happens to debian-9 firefox-esr re: intermediate
certifcate bug fix ?

awokd

May 9, 2019, 9:17:28 PM5/9/19
to Jon deps, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Jon deps:
Looks like it's coming in 60.6.2esr-1~deb9u1, which is in
stretch-updates, but not stable.

If you can't wait for it, then in your Debian template(s):
sudo su
nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Add this line:
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free
ctrl-x, y to save
apt update
apt install firefox-esr

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Remove this line:
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free
ctrl-x, y to save

Daniil Travnikov

May 14, 2019, 8:46:19 AM5/14/19
to qubes-users

I think it could be a problem which created by Mozilla:

https://blog.torproject.org/noscript-temporarily-disabled-tor-browser

You could try to do this:

1. Open the address about:config in the Firefox Browser address bar
2. At the top of the page, search for xpinstall.signatures.required
3. Set the xpinstall.signatures.requiredentry to false by double clicking it

john s.

May 15, 2019, 5:37:59 AM5/15/19
to awokd, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/10/19 1:17 AM, awokd wrote:
> deb https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free

thanksforthereply,

hmm just curious

in /etc/apt/sources.list there is this

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib
non-free

but that is not the same as
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free

??

your solution worked am just curious if my sources.list was not
correct somehow ?

--
A895 0C7C A244 8E2E FD77 A3DB 180B 7D4D D158 F8B6

awokd

May 15, 2019, 7:46:09 AM5/15/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
john s.:

> in /etc/apt/sources.list there is this
>
> deb https://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib
> non-free
> but that is not the same as
> deb https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free

No, they are different. First is for high priority security updates.
Second is for proposed general updates- most of them will make it to
stable but not if there's a problem found with them in this stage. For
example, when I checked while responding to the above, there was also a
kernel update and some bind updates in there that hadn't yet been pushed
to stable.

Jon deps

May 15, 2019, 4:25:45 PM5/15/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
ok, yeah I went ahead and updates those kernel and bind updates,
before I realized it was pulling them from the stretch-updates, then
removed that repo , hopefully, no harm done

thxagain