Blank screen after 10 minutes

tom...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 6:20:51 AM9/20/16
to qubes-users
Hi all,

I'm on Qubes3.1 (with regular updates in dom0).
When mouse or screen is not touched for 10 minutes I got screen becoming black and asking for password if I fail to move the mouse in few seconds. (which is annoying when watching movie). All attached displays are blanked.

The annoying part is I cannot find setting for this. In dom0 System Settings->Display and Monitor->Screen locker I have unchecked "Start automatically".

Any ideas where is the setting that control this?

regards,
Tom

Connor Page

Sep 20, 2016, 8:09:57 AM9/20/16
to qubes-users
try Presentation mode in the power manager panel plugin.

Andrew David Wong

Sep 20, 2016, 8:42:53 AM9/20/16
to tom...@gmail.com, qubes-users

tom...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 9:43:31 AM9/20/16
to qubes-users, tom...@gmail.com
> Try this:

> System Tools -> Power Management -> Energy Saving

> Note: Watching a movie, even in fullscreen mode, will not affect

> this timeout, since dom0 doesn't "know" about that type of
> activity. This is arguably a security feature, since if an AppVM
> were able to delay the timeout by starting a movie, an adversary
> could exploit this in conjunction with physical access to obtain
> your machine in an unlocked state.

Thanks Axon, that was it!

Wrapper around movie player could enable/disable energy saving via qrexec-client - anyone is free to decide on this.

Thanks again!

Eva Star

Sep 24, 2016, 6:48:19 PM9/24/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/20/2016 03:42 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> Note: Watching a movie, even in fullscreen mode, will not affect
> this timeout, since dom0 doesn't "know" about that type of
> activity. This is arguably a security feature, since if an AppVM
> were able to delay the timeout by starting a movie, an adversary
> could exploit this in conjunction with physical access to obtain
> your machine in an unlocked state.

What is about the tool that will override default 10 minutes to 130
minutes for one period by keyboard combination or shortcut?

Andrew David Wong

Sep 25, 2016, 6:36:32 AM9/25/16
to Eva Star, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Eva Star

Sep 25, 2016, 10:05:50 AM9/25/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/25/2016 01:36 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> Sure, that could make sense. Some desktop environments already support
> something similar. For example, in KDE you can assign different power
> settings (including timeouts) to different "activities," then assign
> hotkeys (or use a GUI widget) to switch between "activities."

i explore the problem. is is not so hard to do (send new settings to
xscreensaver at dom0):

1. when key combination pressed: change .xscreensaver file at user home
and notify xscreensaver daemon about that.
2. then wait 130 mins and change them to the defaults.

The only one problem is unexpected system reboot, when temporary
settings will be stored as defaults. It's bad.

Maybe the scheme:
1. when key combination pressed: change .xscreensaver file at user home
and notify xscreensaver daemon about that.
2. then IMMEDIATELY change .xscreensaver file to defaults WITHOUT daemon
notifications will work. I think, that daemon will read new
configuration from .xscreensaver file automatically after 130 mins, but
I'm not sure that it will not read it before... Need some testing...

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 25, 2016, 10:36:32 AM9/25/16
to Eva Star, Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Eva Star

Sep 27, 2016, 10:17:53 AM9/27/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 09/25/2016 05:36 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> What about disabling xscreensaver completely for 120 mins?
> Something like:
>
> xscreensaver-command -exit
> sleep 7200
> xscreensaver &
>
> No settings are changed, so unexpected system reboot isn't a problem.

Easy, if it's safe(?)
:)
Seems, I can do the tool.

--