Anonymizing MAC adress through dvm ?

nishi...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 5:15:54 PM8/25/16
to qubes-users
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if you can apply this documentation https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/ to your disposable VM (like if you like to browse the internet being safe, not saving any data but also preserving your anonymity, in a way like Tails do).

I tried to apply this on the AppVM-dvm, stopped it, then entered "qvm-create-default-dvm nameoftheTemplateVM-on-which-is-based-the-AppVM" in dom0, so eventually it would save the configuration on the img on which is based the new Disposable VM, but it don't seem to work, my interface ID don't change when I type "/sbin/ifconfig" into the new DispVM.

I guess the problem comes from the fact the TemplateVM creates a symlink to /etc/systemd/ to load the service, but as you don't have persistence in dispVM, the process fails, but I'm not sure.

If you have an idea on one could eventually do this, I think it would be a great feature (even if it is already really nice to be able to do so on standard VMs, problem is when you're paranoid you have to trade off in a way between a non anonymous but full secured non persistent model for a more anonymous but less secured one, lol)

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 29, 2016, 10:19:49 PM8/29/16
to nishi...@gmail.com, qubes-users

nishi...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 11:23:26 AM9/2/16
to qubes-users
Thank you very much for your support :) I understand better how Qubes handles MAC addresses now thanks to you, I was curious about that ^^

Eva Star

Sep 4, 2016, 1:14:26 PM9/4/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 08/30/2016 05:19 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> In theory it can be probably applied there (apply the instruction in the
> template - the same way as for sys-net). But in practice it doesn't give
> you much more anonymity. First of all, MAC address of the VM network
> interface have no relation to your real hardware. It is always
> 00:16:3e:5e:6c:XX, where XX is ID of the VM. So it gives information
> that you use Qubes OS. And if one can read that MAC address, can also
> read a dozen other indicators that you use Qubes OS - like running on
> Xen, or /var/lib/qubes directory presence, or simply a hostname
> ("dispXX").

Why not add some settings and gill them with some random when OS installed?

--
Regards