Network issues - Could use some help

Alchemist

Jun 13, 2017, 4:47:17 AM6/13/17
to qubes-users
So I got everything working on the XPS15, but I noticed that the network connectivity was intermittent I figured that it had to do with the Killer network card that came with the laptop

I placed an Intel 8260 and I'm seeing the same issues. Primarily when I visit any https enabled site. I can't figure out what could be causing this.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

I've updated sys-net and sys-firewall to F24, but I've tried Debian-8 and Fedora-23 and I can't seem to get any better behavior. If I connect the AppVM to sys-net directly it works for a few minutes (~5) and then it slows down again.

Noor Christensen

Jun 13, 2017, 5:37:56 AM6/13/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Is the connection issues affecting your whole system or just the
browser?

When you say it primarily manifests itself when visiting HTTPS
enabled sites, do you mean plain HTTP sites still work while these
problems occur for only some web sites?

Do you get the same behavior when using wired (cable) connection too?

Is the problem transient and usually resolves itself after some time, or
do you need to restart the VMs? Or even the whole system?

Kind regards,
Noor
--
|_|O|_|
|_|_|O| Noor Christensen
() ascii ribbon campain - against html e-mail
signature.asc

Alchemist

Jun 13, 2017, 6:06:31 AM6/13/17
to qubes-users, list+qub...@technopragmatics.org
Noor,

most Http only sites work more often, but there are instances where they get hit by this "slowdown" and it seems to be affecting the whole appvm not just the browser.

The problem seems to be transient, no restarts needed if I just change the AppVM's firewall to something else and back.

Though after some further testing I think whatever is going on is affecting the FirewallVM since things connected to sys-net are more (But not 100%) reliable.

(So it's possible there may be independent issues in sys-net and sys-firewall that are causing this)

I currently am not in a position to test wired access unfortunately.

lok...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 3:59:36 PM6/15/17
to qubes-users, list+qub...@technopragmatics.org

Do you happen to have a firewall outside your computer that blocks ICMP? If so, you might actually be seeing a problem where MTU discovery fails. That often manifests itself in this way.

If that's the case, then fix your firewall so that it doesn't block ICMP.