Announcement: Recommended Fedora 25 TemplateVM Upgrade for Qubes 3.2

Andrew David Wong

Jul 29, 2017, 10:25:12 PM7/29/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Dear Qubes Users,

Fedora 24, one of the supported TemplateVM versions in Qubes 3.2, is
scheduled to reach EOL (end of life) approximately one month after the
release of Fedora 26, which was on 2017-07-11. This places the
expected EOL date for Fedora 24 somewhere in the second week of August.

Options for migrating to Fedora 25 are now available for Qubes 3.2. If
you're currently using Fedora 24 (or older) TemplateVMs or
StandaloneVMs, we strongly recommend upgrading them to Fedora 25
before then. We provide step-by-step instructions for upgrading your
existing TemplateVMs and StandaloneVMs in-place here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade-24-to-25/

We also provide fresh Fedora 25 TemplateVM packages through the official
Qubes repositories, which you can get with the following commands (in
dom0).

Standard Fedora 25 TemplateVM:

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-25

Minimal Fedora 25 TemplateVM:

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-25-minimal

After upgrading to a Fedora 25 TemplateVM, please remember to set all
qubes that were using the old template to use the new one. This can be
done in dom0 either with the Qubes VM Manager or with the `qvm-prefs`
command-line tool.

Please note that no user action is required regarding the OS version in
dom0. If you're using Qubes 3.2, there is no dom0 OS upgrade available,
since none is currently required. For details, please see here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/supported-versions/#dom0

If you're using an older version of Qubes, we strongly recommend that
you upgrade to 3.2, as older versions are no longer supported.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

wannabe...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2017, 9:53:10 PM7/30/17
to qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Axon,

Will an iso with Fed25 TemplateVMs be released soon? I have a network driver issue with a Kaby Lake NUC that could be solved by Fed25. Just wanted to ask before I started jumping through hoops. Thank you.

Andrew David Wong

Jul 31, 2017, 10:19:34 PM7/31/17
to wannabe...@gmail.com, qubes-users

qubester

Aug 1, 2017, 12:35:15 AM8/1/17
to qubes-users
So, I went through the docs, and successfully have F25 working.
So.....why would I want to run the command below?

and/or should I be doing that at this stage?

-----

Andrew David Wong

Aug 2, 2017, 8:30:04 PM8/2/17
to qubester, qubes-users

Lorenzo Lamas

Aug 4, 2017, 4:55:36 PM8/4/17
to qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Because Fedora 25 has a newer version of NetworkManager, can the same method for MAC randomization for Debian now be used for Fedora instead of using macchanger as described here?
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/

Michael Carbone

Aug 4, 2017, 7:26:51 PM8/4/17
to qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Lorenzo Lamas:
yes that is correct. I have just submitted a pull request to update that
doc to reflect that fact:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/452

--
Michael Carbone

Qubes OS | https://www.qubes-os.org
@QubesOS <https://www.twitter.com/QubesOS>

PGP fingerprint: D3D8 BEBF ECE8 91AC 46A7 30DE 63FC 4D26 84A7 33B4

Lorenzo Lamas

Aug 23, 2017, 2:39:35 PM8/23/17
to qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com, mic...@qubes-os.org

THanks!