Upgrading from Qubes 3 to 4.

lok...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2017, 1:02:04 AM3/6/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new laptop in the next few months. I will, of course, run Qubes on this thing but since Qubes 4 is on the horizon I'm wondering how easy/difficult it will be to upgrade once it's out. Has anything been said about this?

Since I don't really need my new computer until June, I'm considering holding off and wait for Qubes 4 to come out. Has anything been said about the release date? Googling doesn't reveal much in the way of recent information.

Regards,
Elias

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Mar 6, 2017, 2:56:20 PM3/6/17
to lok...@gmail.com, qubes-users
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/09/02/4-0-minimum-requirements-3-2-extended-support/

Note that those are bare minimum requirements, and that you will
probably want more. If you need to run windows HVMs, I'd say at least
double those recommendations.

I'm probably something of a power user, but used to run out of memory
regularly with 8gb and am about to run out of disk with 500gb.

I think perhaps we should consider adding a "recommended requirements"
section instead of just "minimum requirements".

lok...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2017, 4:34:32 AM3/7/17
to qubes-users, lok...@gmail.com
On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 03:56:20 UTC+8, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:

> https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/09/02/4-0-minimum-requirements-3-2-extended-support/
>
> Note that those are bare minimum requirements, and that you will
> probably want more. If you need to run windows HVMs, I'd say at least
> double those recommendations.
>
> I'm probably something of a power user, but used to run out of memory
> regularly with 8gb and am about to run out of disk with 500gb.
>
> I think perhaps we should consider adding a "recommended requirements"
> section instead of just "minimum requirements".

Thank you. I have read that, and I have already settled on getting a 32 GB laptop. My question, however, was whether it's expected that the upgrade procedure will be difficult to the point where doing a full reinstall is easier.

In particular, I'd like to know if existing QVM's will be compatible with Qubes 4 (i.e. can I just back them up and load them into Qubes 4?).

Of course, if Qubes 4 isn't going to be out until much later, then the entire question is moot anyway since I'll have no choice but to go for Qubes 3.2 anyway. That is the reason I was asking whether there is a release date for Qubes 4 yet.

raah...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2017, 2:19:13 PM3/7/17
to qubes-users, lok...@gmail.com

I've run into problems twice trying to upgrade so a full reinstall with backup vms was much easier and quick too. one note is if you have custom templates use clones instead of defaults to make restoring easier.

most likely you will have to use Qubes 3.2 for a while. Probably a good idea to go to 3.2 first before v 4 if you're restoring older backups. which I know will restore fine on 3.2.

Vít Šesták

Mar 7, 2017, 2:34:48 PM3/7/17
to qubes-users
AFAIR you will have to perform full reinstall when upgrading to Q4 because of switch to LVM.

I am in similar situation. I plan buying a new laptop, because my current laptop EOLs soon (end of 5Y warranty). I cannot migrate to Qubes 4 before that (compatibility issues) and I don't want to install 3.2 on the new laptop and perform full reinstall in few weeks/months.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

raah...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2017, 2:38:42 PM3/7/17
to qubes-users
its pretty quick and easy though if restoring backup vms.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 7, 2017, 4:15:05 PM3/7/17
to Vít Šesták, qubes-users