BIOS Security Settings?

'0194358'019438'0194328'01943

Dec 18, 2016, 11:15:59 AM12/18/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

does a BIOS password (against BIOS changes), gives a higher system security, or it is more like a security fake and could be easily bypassed?

Should I switch the IME off?

Kind Regards

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Dec 18, 2016, 1:26:05 PM12/18/16
to qubes-users, kerste...@gmail.com
Usually, the BIOS password can be reset by using a jumper on the motherboard, a dedicated button, or by removing the CMOS battery so it's trivial to bypass. However if one day you notice that the password is gone or that it has changed, that's a good indicator that somebody accessed your pc.

Nicklaus McClendon

Dec 18, 2016, 2:27:46 PM12/18/16
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Tai...@gmx.com

Dec 18, 2016, 3:17:41 PM12/18/16
to '0194358'019438'0194328'01943, Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Some laptops such as dell latitudes/precisions have a "master recovery
password" that is generated from the current serial number of the laptop
(so do thinkpads)
"Cannot be bypassed" - well you could always clip on a eprom writer to
the chip correct? I assume then you could force it to spill.

Entering the password on a latitude/precision then resets the serial
number and you have to re-enter it, you're now thinking that you could
simply do this to make a code that no one knows however on the pre-boot
authentication screen it helpfully provides the current serial number.

BIOS passwords and PBA schemes are simply another layer in security,
ideally you would have both a password and a smart-card so somebody
can't simply do shoulder surfing password recovery and then be able to
steal your laptop. (Most business laptops have a contact-smart card reader).

Yes you should switch off ME, although "Disabled" means something
different to intel than it does to you and me - it isn't really off.
If you do that you will have to blacklist intel_ips kernel module to
prevent log spam of "ME Hung"

There is a project from some coreboot developers that is able to nerf
(not remove) ME from most systems (caution - may brick your mobo - do
not perform without an external eeprom flashing device) although of
course you're still stuck with the proprietary bios and FSP on anything
recent.

Nicklaus McClendon

Dec 18, 2016, 3:29:33 PM12/18/16
to Tai...@gmx.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Tai...@gmx.com

Dec 18, 2016, 3:57:48 PM12/18/16
to Nicklaus McClendon, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hmm my mistake then (if we trust what superfish lenovo says)
I had recalled someone a few years back telling me that there was one.

BTW It seems there is a ready made tool for resets
http://www.ja.axxs.net/
neato.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2016, 7:02:07 PM12/18/16
to qubes-users, kerste...@gmail.com

it can be bypassed and yes I believe most oem machines have backdoors. I know a trick to bypass my dell desktop with a usb stick. afterwards the bios passwd still prompts. It still errors if you type wrong passwd and works if typing correct one. But if you leave it blank it passes lol

But I feel its still an extra layer of security, for a persistent and advanced attacker it might just mean 10 mins more of their time, but for someone else just being nosey, or if 15 mins is too long, it might mean not getting in at all. As an above poster noted too you could become aware of a change if it happens.

This topic makes me think of all the newly found exploits in grub passwords or some encryption password prompts like on ubuntu. I always feel they are there on purpose. Thinks like hitting backspace 20 times or holding enter down for some seconds. simples of the simplest backdoors going years and years unnoticed. It makes sense they would be undermined cause in so many irc chatrooms they are always being undermined. You are either considered a criminal for wanting measures like this, or naive for wanting something so trivial.

It basically depends on if it is too cumbersome for you to be bothered with or not.