Corrupted GUI after XFCE logon

IX4 Svs

Mar 2, 2020, 4:46:56 AM3/2/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Today I booted my Qubes laptop (Dell Precision M4800) which has been working fine for a while and noticed that after entering my password in the GUI session manager to enter XFCE I’m being logged on, but there is something wrong with the resolution of the display and the result is a corrupted and unusable GUI. (See attachment)

I can hit CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a console session, but not sure how I should proceed to troubleshoot the XFCE settings from there. Is there a way to “reset” the X server settings or force it to attempt to auto-detect the screen size? This is odd as it used to work fine for the built-in laptop display, but has now become unusable.

I installed all dom0 updates and rebooted to ensure I have the latest patches, but it didn’t help. Qubes R4.0

Thanks in advance,

Alex

IX4 Svs

Mar 2, 2020, 4:54:43 AM3/2/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Image attached, sorry for the noise.
image0.jpeg

Frédéric Pierret

Mar 2, 2020, 5:33:15 AM3/2/20
to IX4 Svs, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would do something like:

- systemctl stop lighdtm
- mv ~/.config/xfce4{,.bak}
- systemctl restart lightdm

Your XFCE settings are backuped for further investigation.

Best,
Frédéric
signature.asc

IX4 Svs

Mar 2, 2020, 4:44:38 PM3/2/20
to Frédéric Pierret, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frédéric,

Surprisingly, the lightdm service doesn’t appear to be running, but moving the xfce4 config directory out of the way and then logging in, successfully gave me a functioning resolution.

Many thanks for the help!

Alex