Have Windows VM open and play video in Linux VM?

Jarle Thorsen

Jan 2, 2017, 9:34:41 AM1/2/17
to qubes-users
As there is currently no audio support for Windows in Qubes OS:

Can I use any of the Qubes windows tools to copy a video file to a Linux vm and have it start playing there?

The file should only be copied to a temp directory, and not put in QubesIncomming.

Which tool/syntax will let me do this?

Alex

Jan 2, 2017, 10:39:34 AM1/2/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I think the "Open in DispVM" feature would match your request; is it
available for windows tools too? (don't know, I'd do it like that in linux)

--
Alex

john.david.r.smith

Jan 2, 2017, 10:49:01 AM1/2/17
to Jarle Thorsen, qubes-users
there are two ways:
1) (the better way if you can get a working setup)
for sound/video you can use streaming software (i did this some time ago).
you have a windows vm W and some linux vm N.
you set N as netvm for W.
then you use some virtual soundcard (i think i used hifi cable) and some
streaming software to stream the sound to the linux vm (i can't remember
what i used.)
on N you receive the stream.
since you can hear all audio output of a linux vm, you will hear sound
from W.

my setup was fiddly and had about 2 sec audio delay. (but i did not
really bother to fix it, so you probably can do better)

2)
again have some linux vm N as netvm of a windows vm W.
then you can use public folders on W and mount the public folder on N.
now you can play the video from N.

i used both methods for a while (until i completely switched to linux
for all my work-flows).
in both cases i did not use the windows tools.

if you have working windows tools, you should have a qvm-open-in-dispvm
command .
you could also try this command.
(i am not really sure whether the windows tools contain this command)

Jarle Thorsen

Jan 3, 2017, 2:31:16 AM1/3/17
to qubes-users, alex...@gmx.com
Alex:

> I think the "Open in DispVM" feature would match your request; is it
> available for windows tools too? (don't know, I'd do it like that in linux)

In the right-click menu in Windows explorer you have "Send to->Edit in DispVM" that might do the trick, but I am looking for a command-line option to have a third-party program execute a commandline to open the selected file in external program.

Jarle Thorsen

Jan 3, 2017, 2:42:33 AM1/3/17
to qubes-users, jarlet...@gmail.com, john.davi...@openmailbox.org
john.david.r.smith:

> there are two ways:
> 1) (the better way if you can get a working setup)
> for sound/video you can use streaming software (i did this some time ago).
> you have a windows vm W and some linux vm N.
> you set N as netvm for W.
> then you use some virtual soundcard (i think i used hifi cable) and some
> streaming software to stream the sound to the linux vm (i can't remember
> what i used.)
> on N you receive the stream.
> since you can hear all audio output of a linux vm, you will hear sound
> from W.
>
> my setup was fiddly and had about 2 sec audio delay. (but i did not
> really bother to fix it, so you probably can do better)
>
> 2)
> again have some linux vm N as netvm of a windows vm W.
> then you can use public folders on W and mount the public folder on N.
> now you can play the video from N.
>
> i used both methods for a while (until i completely switched to linux
> for all my work-flows).
> in both cases i did not use the windows tools.

Thanks, I'll keep these two options in mind.

> if you have working windows tools, you should have a qvm-open-in-dispvm
> command .
> you could also try this command.
> (i am not really sure whether the windows tools contain this command)

As far as I can tell there is no qvm-* tools in the windows tools directory at least.

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 5:17:38 PM1/13/17
to qubes-users

just copy it to a dispvm. open vlc in a dispvm. copy the file there. very easy.

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 5:22:11 PM1/13/17
to qubes-users, jarlet...@gmail.com, john.davi...@openmailbox.org

sounds like this would be great for a big music playlist.