dvm removal ?

qubester

Aug 1, 2017, 4:01:56 AM8/1/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

when I create a dvm i'm now up to dvm-17 , is one supposed to be
removing dvm's manually? because I do see how, though each
ititeration, continues to count up ....would that be expected behavior?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 1, 2017, 7:05:17 AM8/1/17
to qubester, qubes-users

yreb-qusw

Aug 1, 2017, 6:59:30 PM8/1/17
to qubes-users
On 08/01/2017 01:05 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:01:50PM -1000, qubester wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> when I create a dvm i'm now up to dvm-17 , is one supposed to be removing
>> dvm's manually? because I do see how, though each ititeration, continues
>> to count up ....would that be expected behavior?
>
> No, it isn't. For which Disposable VMs it happens? Started from menu,
> opening a file in DispVM, or something else?
.....often I have done, open pdf in DispVM and then when I close the
pdf the DispVM disappears. Rarely from the menu.

......fwiw, I had been using the Whonix suggested default DVM , but
wanted/want to go back to the default method, as I think the Whonix way
is/was "over my head" ; so just recently I changed the default back to
Fedora 25 template FWIW.

....I don't really recall which of the 3 options I used for the Whonix
DVM setup but
(https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Disposable_VM#Creating_a_New_DisposableVM-Template_Based_on_Whonix-Workstation)

How would I now delete DVMs that are not in my list, even when all
hidden VMs are enabled ?

Unman

Aug 2, 2017, 12:40:36 PM8/2/17
to yreb-qusw, qubes-users
It isn't clear to me what OP's problem was.
It's expected that the number will iterate upwards, but there is no need
to remove dvm's manually. They are (should be) culled when the called
application exits.
Very occasionally I have seen this fail.

If you have DVMs that are still on disk, but don't appear in Manager,
or qvm-ls , just delete the files off disk.
If they DO appear under qvm-ls, just delete with qvm-remove.

But if they arent on the list and arent on disk, then they've been
automatically culled as expected.

If they consistently fail to be removed, I'd suggest removing the
DVMTemplate and recreating it. I'd also examine any customizations made
to the default templates.

qubester

Aug 2, 2017, 6:32:50 PM8/2/17
to qubes-users
what I Do see with qvm-ls is this:

whonix-ws-dvm halted whonix-ws template

though, as I said I did change it to fedora 25 few days ago.

so, will the DVMs just keep counting up indefinitely into the 100s ?

Unman

Aug 3, 2017, 11:22:49 AM8/3/17
to qubester, qubes-users
Yes it will - I dont know if there's a maximum but if there is I havent
breached it yet, and I use disposableVMs a lot.