Launching Gimp & Nautilus Qubes

Anyomonous Z

Apr 5, 2018, 11:45:08 PM4/5/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm using Qubes 4.0. I used apt-get install to install gimp & nautilus on the Debian 9 VM. I'm wondering how to open these applications now? I tried updating the app list with qvm-sync-apps but that didn't help. There's no file manager, so I can't look for gimp. I did use Firefox to search for it, but I didn't find anything.

Any help is much appreciated =)

Ivan Mitev

Apr 6, 2018, 1:42:53 AM4/6/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 04/06/2018 06:45 AM, Anyomonous Z wrote:
> Hi, I'm using Qubes 4.0. I used apt-get install to install gimp & nautilus on the Debian 9 VM. I'm wondering how to open these applications now? I tried updating the app list with qvm-sync-apps but that didn't help. There's no file manager, so I can't look for gimp. I did use Firefox to search for it, but I didn't find anything.

It's odd that the apps don't show up after qvm-sync-apps ; did you
install gimp and nautilus in the VM's template ? If yes, did you power
off the template and then (re)started your VM ?

Did you try to synchronize the apps in the VM's settings ?

Anyway you can launch apps from a terminal:
- launch xterm (or any terminal) from the VM's app menu, and type
"gimp&" or "nautilus&"
- or in dom0: qvm-run your-vm-name gimp

hope this helps
ivan

Anyomonous Z

Apr 6, 2018, 5:20:13 PM4/6/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I read somewhere that you should install apps to the template vm. I installed the programs in a created debian vm instead of the template one. I tried the command qvm-sync-apps in dom0, but now the command says that it isn't recognized.

How do I synchronize the apps in settings? I think I missed that while in settings.

I'm using my email to respond, I hope this doesn't create a new thread altogether.

Thank you! It's much appreciated. =)

cooloutac

Apr 6, 2018, 6:35:19 PM4/6/18
to qubes-users
You might have to install nautilus or another file manager in the debian-9 template.

I didn't have files on qubes 3.2 debian8 to debian-9. Can't remember if fresh install of 4.0 debian-9 template needs file manager installed too.

To sync new programs installed in template to the appvms desktop menu, start the debian-9 template terminal, in it type qvm-sync-appmenus.

cooloutac

Apr 6, 2018, 6:35:43 PM4/6/18
to qubes-users

then from qubes manager you can go to appvms qubes settings and add which programs you want in its menu list.

cooloutac

Apr 6, 2018, 6:50:46 PM4/6/18
to qubes-users

make sure to shut down template after installing nautilus and sync'n menus and resart the appvm

Anyomonous Z

Apr 8, 2018, 3:00:15 AM4/8/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi, installing gimp & nautilus in the template vm seems to have worked. However, after doing qvm-sync-appmenus , gimp doesn't appear in the list of apps. But, I'm able to launch gimp using the terminal with &gimp. It seems that I don't have internet in firefox though, only the terminal. I'll create a new thread for this.

Anyomonous Z

Apr 8, 2018, 3:01:01 AM4/8/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

It did say updating gimp when doing qvm-sync-appmenus

Apr 8, 2018, 3:10:42 AM4/8/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I have internet in my created vm's ( both terminal & firefox ) but not in my template vm's. Only the terminal seems to have internet. Clicking edit qube firewall settings gives me an error message saying that 'this qube has networking disabled. Basic > Networking' . Sys-net also comes up with this error, while firewall doesn't.

Please help! Thanks =)

awokd

Apr 8, 2018, 10:00:29 AM4/8/18
to Anyomonous Z, qubes...@googlegroups.com

awokd

Apr 8, 2018, 10:20:46 AM4/8/18
On Sun, April 8, 2018 7:10 am, Anyomonous Z wrote:
> Hi, I have internet in my created vm's ( both terminal & firefox ) but
> not in my template vm's.

That is by design. Review this mailing list to see where the same question
was answered yesterday. :)