Networking Disabled - cannot enable NetworkManager Applet [sys-firewall]

Marco D'emet

Jul 6, 2016, 3:04:30 AM7/6/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

Recently I have installed Qubes-whonix. To begin with I had trouble updating dom0 and the VM templates, alongside this I had tor bootstrapping errors which highlighted an issue with not being able to download the meta packages for both whonix-gw and whonix-ws templates. I resolved this issue and lastly updated the fedora template VM. After reboot tor was then able to connect however in the system tray a new icon appeared with two desktops and a red cross square, hovering over it read 'Networking disabled'. What is this issue and how do I resolve it?

Further details,
When I right click the icon the prompt to 'enable networking' is shaded out. When I click the 'about' prompt I get the window title '[sys-firewall] About NetworkManager Applet', inside it reads that it is NetworkManager Applet 1.0.10.

I have read many other discussions in this group and none have a solution that works. I am very new so I apologise for not being able to provide more information. As an aside it would be helpful if in addition to helping me solve this problem I might also be directed to sources which will let me better learn how to understand and work with qubes.

Lastly, I have tried updating all templates and dom0, as I said I have tried the solutions found elsewhere regarding enabling networkmanager.dispatcher. I have tried as much as I know or understand.
Looking forward to some resolution to diminish frustrations of qubes.

Andrew David Wong

Jul 6, 2016, 11:23:02 AM7/6/16
to Marco D'emet, qubes-users

On 2016-07-06 00:04, Marco D'emet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I have installed Qubes-whonix. To begin with I had
> trouble updating dom0 and the VM templates, alongside this I had
> tor bootstrapping errors which highlighted an issue with not being
> able to download the meta packages for both whonix-gw and
> whonix-ws templates. I resolved this issue and lastly updated the
> fedora template VM. After reboot tor was then able to connect
> however in the system tray a new icon appeared with two desktops
> and a red cross square, hovering over it read 'Networking
> disabled'. What is this issue and how do I resolve it?
>
> Further details, When I right click the icon the prompt to 'enable
> networking' is shaded out. When I click the 'about' prompt I get
> the window title '[sys-firewall] About NetworkManager Applet',
> inside it reads that it is NetworkManager Applet 1.0.10.

This is the NetworkManager applet running in sys-firewall. Normally,
sys-firewall is connected to sys-net for network access, and the
NetworkManager applet only runs in sys-net. (The situation can be
different if you're running things like VPN VMs, but we'll set those
aside here.)

In short: the NetworkManager applet shouldn't be visible in
sys-firewall in the first place, but it's not a big problem (just a
confusing one). There's normally a script that hides it, but in your
case, that's not working for some reason.

You should be able to kill the applet by opening a terminal in
sys-firewall, then running:

$ sudo kill $(pidof nm-applet)

See this thread for a similar discussion:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/DMqWMAi8EP0/discussion

> I have read many other discussions in this group and none have a
> solution that works. I am very new so I apologise for not being
> able to provide more information. As an aside it would be helpful
> if in addition to helping me solve this problem I might also be
> directed to sources which will let me better learn how to
> understand and work with qubes.

The main sources are our documentation:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/

And our mailing lists:

> Lastly, I have tried updating all templates and dom0, as I said I
> have tried the solutions found elsewhere regarding enabling
> networkmanager.dispatcher. I have tried as much as I know or
> understand. Looking forward to some resolution to diminish
> frustrations of qubes.

So, are you still having problems updating dom0 and your templates? If
so, can you explain the problems?

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Message has been deleted

Qubed One

Jul 7, 2016, 6:06:08 PM7/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
jefferso...@hotmail.com:
> Hello Andrew
>
>> This is the NetworkManager applet running in sys-firewall. Normally,
>> sys-firewall is connected to sys-net for network access, and the
>> NetworkManager applet only runs in sys-net. (The situation can be
>> different if you're running things like VPN VMs, but we'll set those
>> aside here.)
>>
>> In short: the NetworkManager applet shouldn't be visible in
>> sys-firewall in the first place, but it's not a big problem (just a
>> confusing one). There's normally a script that hides it, but in your
>> case, that's not working for some reason.
>
> My set up is standard with the only change from fresh installation being the updating of templates and dom0. Is this difference of NetworkManager appearing an indication of any loss of function or security?
>
>> So, are you still having problems updating dom0 and your templates? If
>> so, can you explain the problems?
>
> There were issues with dom0. The link below give the solution:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/errno$2014$20curl$2337/qubes-users/zMETrlPMqng/GcwIPcZ8BQAJ
>
> The whonix templates were difficult. I was able to update them however I still get a whonixcheck error for the whonix gateway. It reads "WARNING: Whonix Meta Packages Test Result: Whonix-Gateway detected, but the meta package qubes-whonix-gateway is not installed. Did you accidentally uninstall it?"
>
> I followed the steps from this discussion:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/meta$20package$20qubes-whonix-gateway$20is$20not$20installed/qubes-users/P2BTCOPcTnU/xHXxMEzLPwAJ
>
> This did not work:
> "sudo apt-get install qubes-whonix-workstation" on WS template
> "sudo apt-get install qubes-whonix-gateway" on GW template.
>
> Another similar command to the two above worked. However the autoremove command did not work. I was root and met the requirements it seemed to need.
>
> The sanity check from here did not work, returning 1 instead of 0. The command was not recognised:
> https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.whonix.org%2Fwiki%2FUpgrading_Whonix_12_to_Whonix_13&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGFl1_nVVp9x0MIL9am3BnI9-vOlA
>
> I would like to learn how to fix this meta package error. From what I have read here it would be a risk to my security to bypass this issue.
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Whonix_Debian_Packages#What_is_the_disadvantage_of_removing_a_meta_package.3F

These steps worked for me (sorry, can't find the source that directed me
here. It mentioned something about upgrading Whonix from 12 to 13
without realizing it.):

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Upgrading_Whonix_12_to_Whonix_13

> Thank you for providing some sources. Are there any that I can learn to better navigate qubes and use basic code? I will keep looking through the documentation. Aside for running an update on a VM is there anyway to check if the VM (or dom0) is up to date?

Qubed One

Jul 7, 2016, 6:10:35 PM7/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Qubed One:
Sorry again, it appears you've already tried that. I need to read more
thoroughly before replying...

jefferso...@hotmail.com

Jul 7, 2016, 6:12:58 PM7/7/16
to qubes-users, qube...@riseup.net
Hello all,

I realised I had been making a mistake when following the "whonix 12 to 13" guide. I deleted my post so that I could probe some other issues before returning with a revised and updated reply. However I found my other issues to be resolved.

The meta packages problem is resolved. However each boot up the sys-firewall NetworkManager issue returns. Hoping this is not a risk to security or function. Everything else at this time seems in order

Andrew David Wong

Jul 8, 2016, 10:59:44 PM7/8/16
to jefferso...@hotmail.com, qubes-users, qube...@riseup.net