pEp in Enigmail-Thunderbird in Whonix-14 Qubes

qube...@tutanota.com

Sep 13, 2018, 11:19:45 AM9/13/18
to Qubes Users
Hi, I learned that in Whonix-14 in Qubes 4.0 there is no default support for pEp in Enigmail-Thunderbird. Is it Qubes specific or Whonix specific? Is there any reason for not supporting pEp in Whonix?

In other templates after installing the Enigmail addon the support for pEp jumps up automatically like Enigmail/pEp.

Thank you!

Patrick Schleizer

Nov 17, 2018, 11:17:31 AM11/17/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
qube...@tutanota.com:
> Hi, I learned that in Whonix-14 in Qubes 4.0 there is no default support for pEp in Enigmail-Thunderbird. Is it Qubes specific or Whonix specific? Is there any reason for not supporting pEp in Whonix?
>
> In other templates after installing the Enigmail addon the support for pEp jumps up automatically like Enigmail/pEp.
>
> Thank you!

Whonix uses the same package as Debian. So Debian specific and Whonix
inherits this.

This sort of question has a much higher chance of getting answered
timely in Whonix forums.

Check this out:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Encrypted_Email_with_Thunderbird_and_Enigmail

This may be useful later:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/E-Mail#Pretty_Easy_Privacy

mossy

Nov 30, 2018, 2:16:46 PM11/30/18
to Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Patrick Schleizer:
Thanks, Patrick for all your excellent work -- I wonder if you have many
users using qubes-split-gpg. it used to work on my whonix-ws-14
(in-place upgrade path from whonix 13 workstation) but since starting
fresh with qubes 4.0.1_rc1 thunderbird in whonix seems to no longer
recognize /usr/bin/qubes-gpg-client-wrapper as a valid GnuPG install
(states "Could not find GnuPG" under enigmail preferences.

I believe the fresh qubes template whonix-ws-14 is the cause. Two reasons:

1-`qubes-gpg-client-wrapper -K` or `qubes-gpg-client -K` both
successfully list the gpg private key stored in the offline vault appVM.

2-qubes-split-gpg works normally in thunderbird running in a non-whonix
(debian-9), with identical thunderbird versions 60.3.0 64-bit)

I'll cross post in Whonix forums as well, putting in here in case other
qubes-split-gpg users have had similar experiences or ideas.

-m0ssy

mossy

Nov 30, 2018, 2:26:35 PM11/30/18
to Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
mossy:
thanks to other (whonix or not) split-gpg users, I tried adding the file
(listing the name of my vault domain):

/rw/config/gpg-split-domain

and now all is well.

thank you again!