USB VM based on fedora-26 doesn't pass block devices

Kelly Dean

Feb 20, 2018, 12:03:24 PM2/20/18
to qubes-users
I'm getting the same bug as reported at https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2018

The bug was originally reported against r3.1 and fedora-23-minimal, and fixed in r3.2 and fedora-24-minimal. However, I'm getting it on r3.2, using fedora-26 (full, not minimal) for both my USB VM and my appVM. Both Qubes and the template are fully updated. Rebooting the system doesn't fix it. Trying a different appVM also doesn't fix it.

qvm-block -l says the USB device is attached to the appVM. But the appVM has no /dev/xvdi

xl block-list shows the appVM's four standard block devices with state 4, and it shows a fifth device with state 3. This is the same result that the OP got. I don't know what the state numbers 3 and 4 mean, and neither does google. The man page for xl also says nothing about them.

/var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log reveals nothing helpful.

The OP solved his problem by installing perl in the template. But I'm using the full fedora-26, which already has perl installed.

awokd

Feb 22, 2018, 9:07:56 PM2/22/18
to Kelly Dean, qubes-users
On Tue, February 20, 2018 5:02 pm, Kelly Dean wrote:
> I'm getting the same bug as reported at
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2018

> qvm-block -l says the USB device is attached to the appVM. But the appVM
> has no /dev/xvdi

I wonder if this might be related to a recent patch in testing. Are both
your dom0 and templates on the same repository (current vs. testing) and
updated? A recent patch also required a reboot once both were updated.

Kelly Dean

Feb 23, 2018, 11:32:17 AM2/23/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes-users

awokd writes:
> I wonder if this might be related to a recent patch in testing. Are both
> your dom0 and templates on the same repository (current vs. testing) and
> updated? A recent patch also required a reboot once both were updated.

Both on current, and both updated, and rebooted since last update.

Anyway, problem solved. I plugged the USB device into a different port, and it worked (I got xvdi in the appVM). Then I detached and moved it back to the port where I was having the problem, and this time it worked there too. Aargh, heisenbug.

Tim W

Feb 27, 2018, 3:05:02 PM2/27/18
to qubes-users

That almost sounds like a bug with the usb controller reset device or something to that effect. I assume both usb ports are on the same controller.