UEFI boot problem

Stephan Marwedel

Oct 15, 2018, 12:49:35 PM10/15/18
to qubes-users
I have a Thinkpad T470p which is equipped with two SSDs. Archlinux is
installed on one drive and Qubes on the other. I use the UEFI Boot Menu
to switch between operating systems without using multi-boot from a boot
manager. Qubes 4.0 runs very well on this machine.

Since the T470p is now supported by the Linux Firmware Vendor Service I
did the last BIOS update from Archlinux using fwupdmgr. Everything went
smoothly. Unfortunately, after the update I was no longer able to boot
Qubes because the UEFI boot configuration for the second drive was
somehow deleted.

How can one recover the UEFI boot environment of Qubes 4.0? I tried
using the Qubes installer but there is no shell access to run
grub-install or efibootmgr. Can I do it from the Archlinux drive or a
Fedora boot media?

Any hints are appreciated.

Regards,

Stephan

awokd

Oct 15, 2018, 2:20:19 PM10/15/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Stephan Marwedel:
Yes, Fedora boot media should work. Try searching this list for
"efibootmgr"- should get the magic string for it in there somewhere.

Stephan Marwedel

Oct 20, 2018, 10:56:10 AM10/20/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the hint.

The commands I used to restore the entry were

efibootmgr -v -c -u -L Qubes -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/sda1 -p 1

efibootmgr -o 0,1

Now I can boot Qubes using the UEFI boot manager again.