Fedora "/tmp"

Drew White

Jan 9, 2017, 6:20:02 PM1/9/17
to qubes-users
Hi folks,

I want to increase the size of the tmpfs for the system, but I am unsure of how that would be done in Qubes so that it sticks.

I altered the FSTAB but it didn't keep the settings after reboot.

It's a standalone guest, it should be persistent.

What do I do please?

Alex

Jan 10, 2017, 2:40:34 AM1/10/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Drew;
that's another one of the wonderfully undocumented effects of systemd.

Long story short: edit
/usr/lib/systemd/system/tmp.mount.d/30_qubes.conf, and set size=$manyG

Long story: systemd performs mounts with .mount unit files; by default,
if no "Options=" setting is specified, the parameters are read from
/etc/fstab like an old school distro.

But, if "Options=" is specified, those options are merged with the ones
in /etc/fstab. In the case of Qubes, these options are further
customized in the $name.mount.d/ directory; since those options do
specify the tmpfs size, this setting overrides the one set in /etc/fstab.

--
Alex

Torsten Grote

Jan 10, 2017, 6:23:39 AM1/10/17
to Alex, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2017 05:40 AM, Alex wrote:
> Long story short: edit
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/tmp.mount.d/30_qubes.conf, and set size=$manyG

Thanks, that is very helpful!

Kind Regards,
Torsten

Drew White

Jan 10, 2017, 6:06:51 PM1/10/17
to qubes-users, alex...@gmx.com

Thanks a lot.
Just makes me want to get rid of SystemD even more now.

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Jan 10, 2017, 7:53:29 PM1/10/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/10/2017 11:06 PM, Drew White wrote:

> Thanks a lot.
> Just makes me want to get rid of SystemD even more now.

We're waiting for your patches any day now :-)

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Drew White

Jan 10, 2017, 8:19:58 PM1/10/17
to qubes-users

I'm working on it.. But without knowing the details I need to know it's hard to do what needs to be done to get it done. If that makes sense... any at all? ;}

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2017, 11:31:46 AM1/11/17
to qubes-users
I've had to increase this on past fedora qubes vms so long videos wouldn't time out. Never had an issue with debian though. And I haven't had the issue on fresh system with the latest fedora.