Anonymize MAC address

pl1...@sigaint.org

Oct 13, 2016, 4:35:04 PM10/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Good day
When I go to options of my wifi network (always spoofed the MAC address),
in the field "device" there is written my real MAC. Has been detected by
network?

Another question, always in the field "device" there are 2 options: mac
address and wlp0s0+mac address. What do I have to select? (I haven't
ethernet network, then I have activated only macspoof-wlp0s0)

pL11

pl1...@sigaint.org

Oct 15, 2016, 8:59:47 AM10/15/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Anyone?

Chris Laprise

Oct 15, 2016, 11:03:37 AM10/15/16
to pl1...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/15/2016 08:59 AM, pl1...@sigaint.org wrote:
> Anyone?

Instructions for MAC anonymization have just been updated:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/

Chris

pl1...@sigaint.org

Oct 16, 2016, 2:03:02 PM10/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ok, is recommend to use debian as sys-net
My question is about already used mac-spoof in sys-net, please can you try
to give me an answer if it is possible?

pL11

Chris Laprise

Oct 17, 2016, 3:33:01 PM10/17/16
to pl1...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Maybe someone involved in the macchanger instructions can chime in with
advice.

My personal recommendation would be to use Network Manager, as the
Macchanger script is prone to breakage and lists these limitations:

* This does not randomize your MAC Address on sleep and wake state
(only on restarting the |sys-net| VM)
* The |sys-net| networking VM takes longer for device drivers to start
up than usual, this delayed startup may cause the first attempt of
|sys-whonix| to connect to Tor to fail

I started about 2 years ago trying to get Macchanger to work
consistently. None of the different approaches really did the job. It
should be handled by the system's network configuration daemon, which
is Network Manager.

Chris

Chris Laprise

Oct 18, 2016, 1:43:55 PM10/18/16
to pl1...@sigaint.org, qubes-users
> Hi
> Yes, each time that I want to randomize mac address I have to shutdown the
> sys-net, activate macspoof-wlp0s1 and restart the pc.
>
> Does the mac address spoof with debian 9 work perfectly?
> Can I remove mac changer from fedore, then the drivers start immediately?

It has worked perfectly for me so far. The only problem was a slight
incompatibility NM 1.4.x has with old connection settings from versions
1.2.x and earlier. If you use the old connection data it will only
randomize in scan mode, not for connections. That was easily solved by
creating a new sys-net after the upgrade.

You can remove the macchanger scripts according to the uninstall
directions in the doc, though starting with a fresh template would
accomplish the same thing.

Chris