Display issues with Kali HVM

Micah Lee

Apr 11, 2017, 2:48:59 PM4/11/17
to qubes-users
When I install Kali in an HVM it has this terrible display issue [1].
When I move the mouse to the top-left of the window, I can see the
cursor navigate over the Application menu in the bottom left. Does
anyone know how to fix this?

This screen resolution trick [2] doesn't do it. If I set a custom
xorg.conf with these changes, GNOME fails to load when I try logging in,
and I get spit back out at the login screen.

I know that I can follow instructions here [3] and use katoolin to make
a Debian template full of Kali tools, but I'm hoping to actually run
Kali itself, with GNOME configured exactly as it is.

[1] https://i.imgur.com/pLWGnmw.png
[2] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/linux-hvm-tips/#screen-resolution
[3] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pentesting/kali/

Micah Lee

Apr 12, 2017, 11:58:59 AM4/12/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/11/2017 11:48 AM, Micah Lee wrote:
> When I install Kali in an HVM it has this terrible display issue [1].
> When I move the mouse to the top-left of the window, I can see the
> cursor navigate over the Application menu in the bottom left. Does
> anyone know how to fix this?

I just realized this question has already been asked:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/u7COjQTy1_I

Also, I've noticed that this exact problem happens when installing
Subgraph OS in an HVM.