Q4: Enabling updates for templates restored from Qubes 3

koto...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2018, 7:13:33 AM1/5/18
to qubes-users
I just spent a good time getting my backuped templates from Qubes 3 to work in Qubes 4 RC3. I'm posting here what I did (roughly) to get it work, in the hope it can help somebody.

After running qvm-backup-restore, starts a terminal for your VM:

$ qvm-run mytemplate gnome-terminal

In the VM,

- Rename /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qubes-r3.list to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qubes-r4.list

- Replace mention of "3.2" to "4.0" qubes-r4.list

Now we will import the new GPG keys used to sign the packages.

- Start one of the official template:

$ qvm-run debian-8 gnome-terminal

In the debian-8 VM:

$ apt-ket exportall > /tmp/keys.txt
$ qvm-copy-to-vm /tmp/keys.txt

Choose "mytemplate" as destination.

In the mytemplate VM:

$ apt-key import ~/QubesIncoming/debian-8/keys.txt

Now enable networking in the mytemplate settings by specifying sys-net as a network VM.

Updates the packages:

$ apt-get update
$ apt-get upgrade

When prompted, choose to use the qubes-r4.list from the maintainer (or merge manually).

Disable network in the mytemplate VM.
Restart.

Now the proxy updates should work again.

Good luck.

koto...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2018, 7:31:16 AM1/5/18
to qubes-users
Maybe it is necessary to $ apt-get install qubes-core-agent
in the VM after update, not sure.

awokd

Jan 5, 2018, 7:35:38 AM1/5/18
to koto...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Fri, January 5, 2018 12:31 pm, koto...@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe it is necessary to $ apt-get install qubes-core-agent
> in the VM after update, not sure.

Thank you for the write-up. Had been planning on upgrading my primary
workstation to 4.0 once it was out of RC status but in light of recent
events, might do that this weekend!