Fedora25 fails updates unless I reboot the machine 9.13.17

qubester

Sep 13, 2017, 6:49:35 PM9/13/17
to qubes-users
Fedora25 fails updates unless I reboot the machine 9.13.17

2 or 3 times now, are others having this problem? is there some
particular remedy or just let it go?

"failed to syncronize cache"

Robert Fisk

Sep 14, 2017, 9:51:28 AM9/14/17
to qubester, qubes-users
I see this problem on a Q3.2 system that has been running for several days.

Updating Fedora 25 template:
> sudo dnf update
> Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates'

Updating Debian 9 template:
> sudo apt update
> Err:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates
> InRelease
> Could not connect to 10.137.255.254:8082 (10.137.255.254), connection
> timed out
> Err:2 http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch
> InRelease
> Could not connect to 10.137.255.254:8082 (10.137.255.254), connection
> timed out
> Err:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch
> InRelease
> Could not connect to 10.137.255.254:8082 (10.137.255.254), connection
> timed out
> Err:4 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
> Unable to connect to 10.137.255.254:8082:

Dom0 update seems to work (or at least fails silently):
> sudo qubes-dom0-update
> Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may
> take some time...
> Running command on VM: 'sys-firewall'...
> Running command on VM: 'sys-firewall'...
> Checking for dom0 updates...
> No new updates available

Restarting fixes the problem temporarily. I guess the update proxy is
crashing? My sys-firewall is running a Debian 9 template, what about yours?

Regards,
Robert

yre...@riseup.net

Sep 14, 2017, 6:15:49 PM9/14/17
to qubes-users
Hello ,

So at this point using 3.2 I have 3 ProxyVMs for my VPN, that took a
bit of time to setup , from reading :
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2017/04/26/qubes-compromise-recovery/

I'm trying to sort out, what might be best practice.

I've no reason to believe I've any compromise of any sort at all, but
are people out there using this backup tool regularly? If so why ?

In plain English, what it seems to do is what? This is something for
when you KNOW your whole system is compromised OR something to do from
time to time, because your "paranoid" ?

If the latter, then when ..... maybe its bit over my head, and I should
just forget about it .....

it doesn't seem like it would do much harm other than I would lose
the VPN ProxyVMs because of the CLI version that I used that
tweaks the firewall

yre...@riseup.net

Sep 14, 2017, 6:18:57 PM9/14/17
to Robert Fisk, qubes-users
Robert,
My sys-firewall is based on the Fedora-25 not Debian, I don't use the
Debian template for anything , mine is still version 8 fwiw.

I really just kludge most of what happens on Qubes, I just know it
fails, I've vague on what synchronizing cache updates even means
.....:)

But, yes, this may be after a number of suspend and unsuspends .....

yre...@riseup.net

Sep 19, 2017, 10:00:18 PM9/19/17
to Robert Fisk, qubes-users
Are you saying by chance, that if I changed the template that the
sys-firewall is based on, that that might fix this ?

Vincent Adultman

Oct 4, 2017, 11:45:51 AM10/4/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm experiencing a similar problem which I've reported a bug for at https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3135

If you're still encountering the issue with the update proxy failing too, could you check the output of "journalctl -u qubes-updates-proxy.service" when it fails please? Marek also asked whether I have a broken network cable (n/a) or poor wifi (signal seems strong enough, i.e. no dropouts and problem occurs across different wifi networks), so it would be good to know that for you too.

If you don't like github, happy to post any responses here into the ticket I have open.

I've found a workaround (specified in the ticket) that fixes it for me, but interested to know if we're dealing with one problem, or different ones.

Thanks.

Bill Wether

Oct 5, 2017, 9:38:50 AM10/5/17
to qubes-users
On my thinkpad 430, I fix this by setting sys-firewall's netvm to 'none', restarting sys-net, and setting it back. Works every time so far.

Cheers

BillW

cooloutac

Oct 8, 2017, 10:48:40 AM10/8/17
to qubes-users

what about just removing the sys-net and recreating it.

Gustavo Lapido Loureiro

Dec 14, 2017, 5:27:57 PM12/14/17
to qubes-users

I confirme the issue too.