Qubes 4 won't boot on Thinkpad T430

Ha L

Apr 1, 2018, 5:19:27 PM4/1/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble booting Qubes 4 on Thinkpad T430. I managed to install Qubes 4 by turning off VT-d in the BIOS. If VT-d is turned on in the BIOS then Qubes simply does not boot.

I have tried to add 'iommu=no-igfx' option, I have removed it completely, I have also tried 'iommu=on' and 'iommu=force'. Nothing seems to work.

Prior to Qubes 4, I was able to boot Qubes.

Any help is appreciated, thank you all.

Chris Laprise

Apr 1, 2018, 5:30:05 PM4/1/18
to Ha L, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Does your T430 have Nvidia graphics? If so, you could try turning it off
in the BIOS.

Also, you should try updating your BIOS if you haven't recently.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

i.like...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2018, 9:22:42 AM4/2/18
to qubes-users
Thanks for the reply Chris.

I don't have dedicated graphics and I have also updated the BIOS to the latest version. It's still not working.

Chris Laprise

Apr 2, 2018, 10:27:30 AM4/2/18
to i.like...@gmail.com, qubes-users
You might check out this working HCL report for the T430 (subject has a
typo):

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/8eaa28e4-78b2-4c0a-a5d4-3071b4f6d6b2%40googlegroups.com

Other variables here might be the specific CPU, chipset, model# and
options, dock, etc.

Also check the system self-test, and see if resetting BIOS settings to
defaults helps.

kai....@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2018, 3:29:32 AM4/4/18
to qubes-users
Greetings,

I can report that i was able to install (and boot) the Qubes 4 final without any problems out of the box (no extra boot option) on my Lenovo Thinkpad T430, while installing Qubes 4 from an external dvd drive.

The same notebook already worked without problems with qubes 3.2 final. i did not change any bios settings meanwhile.
in bios, i enabled both vt options.

all the best
Kai