S3 sleep on Thinkpad T460 issues

Martin L. Fällman

Mar 16, 2017, 7:55:27 AM3/16/17
to qubes-users

Hi list! So, I have an issue with my Thinkpad T460. What seems like randomly, it will not wake up from S3 sleep. Opening and closing the lid, hitting the power button and doing a little jig on the keyboard does nothing. The indicator light is however pulsating, and I can get the FnLock light to light up by pressing Fn+Esc.

I’m fairly certain it happens when it’s slept for a long time, e.g. overnight, and it may be related to putting it to sleep with an Ethernet cable and/or power connected. I’ve set the TPM to the discrete chip and done some other BIOS fixes that have gotten sleep and shutdown to work properly most of the time, but this issue still eludes me, and it doesn’t seem like I can find anything about it in the logs either.

As you can see, first there’s some sort of i915 warning, then xfdesktop dumps core, and then systemd merrily goes on its way suspending the system. I suspect the issue is in there somewhere—could be i915, right?

I’m also running the stock BIOS revision but I’ve prepared an update USB that hopefully will allow me to update to the latest version. Could maybe resolve the issue, no?

Any input or ideas appreciated…

Cheers,

MARTIN L. FÄLLMAN
PROTECTION OFFICER

CIVIL RIGHTS DEFENDERS
Address: Sergels torg 12, floor 12, SE-111 57 Stockholm, Sweden
Tel: +46 8 120 744 03, Mobile: +46 70 484 96 75
martin....@civilrightsdefenders.org

PGP: 0ECD 731D D578 6145 AB22 D213 5104 FC60 779A FD28
SIGNAL available on cell number

We defend people’s civil and political rights and empower human rights defenders worldwide.
Learn how to support us on
www.crd.org

Chris Laprise

Mar 16, 2017, 10:11:40 AM3/16/17
to Martin L. Fällman, qubes-users
On 03/16/2017 07:55 AM, Martin L. Fällman wrote:
> Hi list! So, I have an issue with my Thinkpad T460. What seems like
> randomly, it will not wake up from S3 sleep. Opening and closing the
> lid, hitting the power button and doing a little jig on the keyboard
> does nothing. The indicator light is however pulsating, and I can get
> the FnLock light to light up by pressing Fn+Esc.
>

> I’m fairly certain it happens when it’s slept for a long time, e.g.
> overnight, and it may be related to putting it to sleep with an Ethernet
> cable and/or power connected. I’ve set the TPM to the discrete chip and
> done some other BIOS fixes that have gotten sleep and shutdown to work
> properly most of the time, but this issue still eludes me, and it
> doesn’t seem like I can find anything about it in the logs either.
>

> Can’t find anything on the issue in the list archives, so I figured I
> should bring it to the list to see if anyone has an idea of what could
> be going wrong. I have logs from my attempt to suspend yesterday, which
> ended with the computer not waking up this morning:
> http://pastebin.com/yny6QL4j
>

> As you can see, first there’s some sort of i915 warning, then xfdesktop
> dumps core, and then systemd merrily goes on its way suspending the
> system. I suspect the issue is in there somewhere—could be i915, right?
>

> I’m also running the stock BIOS revision but I’ve prepared an update USB
> that hopefully will allow me to update to the latest version. Could
> maybe resolve the issue, no?

Hi Martin,

Recent releases have a lot a problems with suspend, unfortunately. I
have an older Thinkpad with a suspend issue.

Have you looked at this thread?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/-xXKdAkIjxU

Upgrading the BIOS could help. So could trying a different kernel such
as 4.8 (this is found in qubes-dom0-unstable repository).

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett

Frank Schäckermann

Mar 16, 2017, 12:49:06 PM3/16/17
to qubes-users

Hi list! So, I have an issue with my Thinkpad T460. What seems like randomly, it will not wake up from S3 sleep. Opening and closing the lid, hitting the power button and doing a little jig on the keyboard does nothing. The indicator light is however pulsating, and I can get the FnLock light to light up by pressing Fn+Esc.

I’m fairly certain it happens when it’s slept for a long time, e.g. overnight,

Have you tried disabling Hibernate-to-disk? Check your BIOS settings and/or power settings in dom0. It looks like your TP is configured to go into hibernation after being a certain time in suspend-to-RAM and mine never comes back from hibernation either - never has with any Linux...

Regards, Frank

[...]

Martin L. Fällman

Mar 17, 2017, 5:50:22 AM3/17/17
to qubes-users
Chris, thanks for the input. I'm attempting the BIOS update route today, if I can get the computer to boot from the upgrade drive... Lenovo claims there are security fixes in the latest BIOS version as well, so I figure it can't exactly hurt to try it.

Also Frank (not quoted above, sorry): thanks, I'll look into hibernate-to-disk settings. If that's turned on somewhere I definitely think that could be the culprit. Once upon a time I actually had a Gentoo laptop that could do it, but that took a lot of work and a custom initramfs.

Cheers all,
//MLF.

cooloutac

Mar 17, 2017, 1:53:16 PM3/17/17
to qubes-users, martin....@civilrightsdefenders.org
same thing happens to me on my desktop with qubes specifically man. after slept for a long time. happens on another desktop with windows you can try bug reporting the kernel with xen. might be a baremetal linux thing too since its so common.

My issue is system freezes when woke after hours of sleep. I think depending which vms open. I assumed disposable but now not sure.

After it killed my qubes one time. Qubes couldn;t boot. I had to mount it i don't remember from where and thank goodness fsck worked and bought it back to life. a problem of using ssd. but at least it don;t physically die.