installing a standalone VM from iso

trueriver

Aug 6, 2018, 1:10:00 PM8/6/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

Am I being misled by my past experience with VirtualBox?

I wanted a standalone VM running LinuxMint. I created a VM as a standalone without a template, and booted it from the LinuxMint 18.3 iso.

The machine showed up briefly then disappeared, and I don't know how to find out any error messages.

I am also wondering whether I am completely off-track altogother.

Please advise

R~~

trueriver

Aug 6, 2018, 1:19:23 PM8/6/18
to qubes-users
I should have mentioned, this is Qubes 4.0

trueriver

Aug 6, 2018, 1:37:38 PM8/6/18
to qubes-users
After I realised I had to clear the kernel entry, I can now see the machine boot, but it hangs soon after it tries to display graphics. The graphic window is open, and I can see the console log under the Q menu in the system tray.

Now I "just" have to figure out where I went wrong....

R~~

m...@militant.dk

Aug 6, 2018, 2:26:23 PM8/6/18
to qubes-users

when I have had similar problems installing Standalone VM's, it has been for not having enough memory in the VM to begin with. Maybe that can help

Sincerely
Max

trueriver

Aug 19, 2018, 10:50:58 AM8/19/18
to qubes-users

> when I have had similar problems installing Standalone VM's, it has been for not having enough memory in the VM to begin with. Maybe that can help

You may well be right. But I only have 4G total, and it already has as much as possible.

Maybe I am being too ambitious trying to install a second full OS? One hint that it is memory is that I have successfully installed a CLI-only subset of Debian 9, and that gave me no trouble at all.

R~~

lit...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2018, 10:43:38 AM8/22/18
to qubes-users