M.2 SSD Not recognized as a bootable device

mystre...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2017, 6:30:51 PM4/12/17
to qubes-users
Hello, i hope you can help me.
After I install Qubes to the SSD and reboot, it does not recognize the SSD as a bootable device. Using the same install procedures on another SSD (SATA), everything works fine. When using Qubes from the SSD (SATA) to access the M.2 SSD, the BOOT file is empty, so there are no files to rename as you've directed in the UEFI troubleshooting. Also, I cannot access the /BOOT/EFI/ file on my SSD (SATA), it says I don't have the required permissions.
I have also compared the Partitions from my M.2 SSD and the other SSD and they are the same.
M.2 SSD PARTITIONS: http://imgur.com/a/GPCYh
SSD PARTITIONS: http://imgur.com/a/QIzph

pandak...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 7:45:58 AM4/13/17
to qubes-users, mystre...@gmail.com

hey!

Here is something you could try: install qubes on your normal functioning ssd, then use a disk cloning program like Symantec Ghost to basically clone the ssd with your working Qubes install on it, and saving it onto the M.2 drive. further more, have you tried installing other OS's onto your m.2 drive? Because it could be a problem with the drive itself instead of a software problem. I think this is likely, since it Qubes appears to work normally on a non-M.2 drive (according to you. so the problem should be something drive specific, I think.

i would like to hear from you if it works or not, good luck

best regards, blacklight447

mystre...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 10:26:51 AM4/13/17
to qubes-users, mystre...@gmail.com, pandak...@gmail.com
Hey, thats for your reply.
I ll try to run a tool to clone it, and i will let you know.
My M.2 is working, i used windows 10 on it, and kali linux. but when i installed kali linux, i needed to run a couple of commands after the installation end. I dont remember what commands haha. I tried to install qubes on my m.2 without encryption and its the same, so i ll just try to clone it.
Thanks

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Apr 14, 2017, 2:35:52 PM4/14/17
to qubes-users, mystre...@gmail.com
UEFI boot or Legacy boot? My Qubes instance runs just fine off M.2 SSD.

cooloutac

Apr 15, 2017, 1:08:38 PM4/15/17
to qubes-users, mystre...@gmail.com

check bios options.

Mathew Evans

Apr 22, 2017, 6:52:10 AM4/22/17
to qubes-users, mystre...@gmail.com

You likely have a marvell based m.2 SSD they have a issue with EFI mode.
I add the following to my xen.cfg to get it to show up.

pci-phantom=00:00,2

This is a know issue with XEN and marvell m.2 SSDs in EFI mode.