New User Running Into Issues

selfstorag...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 5:40:59 PM1/20/17
to qubes-users
I'm new, so be gentle with me!

I have loaded Qubes onto a laptop. The GUI comes up fine. Things look impressive so far.

The issue I'm having is networking. I'm needing to setup aa wifi connection. The icon that everyone says is supposed to be in the upper righthand corner isn't there. From what I've read so far it seems that the installation routine didn't find the wifi card and the Network Manager isn't loading, or at least it isn't visible.

After that point I'm lost. I'm out of my element. I use Linux, but I usually have little to do with the CLI. Any help is appreciated.

System:
Dell XPS 17 - L702X
i7-2630QM
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
Realtek PCIe GBE

Reg Tiangha

Jan 20, 2017, 5:52:01 PM1/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-01-20 3:40 PM,
selfstorag...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm new, so be gentle with me!
>
> I have loaded Qubes onto a laptop. The GUI comes up fine. Things look impressive so far.
>
> The issue I'm having is networking. I'm needing to setup aa wifi connection.. The icon that everyone says is supposed to be in the upper righthand corner isn't there. From what I've read so far it seems that the installation routine didn't find the wifi card and the Network Manager isn't loading, or at least it isn't visible.
>
> After that point I'm lost. I'm out of my element. I use Linux, but I usually have little to do with the CLI. Any help is appreciated.
>
> System:
> Dell XPS 17 - L702X
> i7-2630QM
> 8GB RAM
> 500GB HDD
> NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M
> Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
> Realtek PCIe GBE

You'll probably need to install the corresponding Intel firmware for the
network card onto the NetVM template. That'll be tricky though if you
don't have network access to begin with since you'd probably have to use
a USB flash drive or something.

Not sure if you're using a Fedora or Debian template for your NetVM, but
as next steps, I would suggest you search for how to get that wifi card
working on that particular disto by itself including figuring out the
name of the firmware package for your specific wifi card, download that
package onto a USB drive using a different computer, and then look up
how to transfer files on Qubes to different VMs using a USB drive. It
shouldn't be too hard to figure out, especially if you have prior
experience with Linux.

Unman

Jan 20, 2017, 6:08:14 PM1/20/17
to Reg Tiangha, qubes...@googlegroups.com, selfstorag...@gmail.com
On Debian there is very helpful guide here:
wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

The package you need there is firmware-iwlwifi

The missing network manager applet is something I haven't seen for a
while. You can open a terminal in sys-net and check to see if it's
already running, and try to restart it.
The program is nm-applet - try 'kill -9 nm-applet' , and then start it
from terminal.

I'm assuming you haven't reconfigured your xfce panel, of course.

selfstorag...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 6:27:28 PM1/20/17
to qubes-users

That gives me something to work towards. I don't feel as helpless now. Thanks, have a great weekend!

Reg Tiangha

Jan 20, 2017, 6:47:55 PM1/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-01-20 4:27 PM,
Oh, wait. I just noticed your laptop model; I have the 15 inch version
of that, the L502X. It's similar specs, maybe even the same network
card. I did have the same issue as you, but I just used a wired ethernet
connection in order to download the right firmware. Unman gave you a
hint on what the Debian firmware package is called, on Fedora, it's
probably one of the iwl6000 firmwares (not sure which one) but see the
link below). If your machine acts similar to mine, I'm pretty certain
that once you've installed the right firmware onto your template VM and
restart the NetVM, your wifi will start working again.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firmware

sexyse...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 7:12:08 PM1/20/17
to qubes-users