Asus ROG GL752VW-GS71-HID6 Install

ronald.bo...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2016, 2:44:09 PM11/18/16
to qubes-users
Hi I am trying to install on the following machine.

Asus ROG GL752VW-GS71-HID6 Metal Grey 17.3" i7-6700HQ 2.6-3.5GHz Windows 10 (960M 4G/256G SSD+1T HDD/32GB RAM/DVDRW)

Windows and xubuntu run fine. (just run xubuntu 15.10 off a usb so far)

I dd'ed the Qubes-R3.2-x86_64.iso to a usb and then ran the install.

Needed secure boot turned off in bios (ESC) key to get in.

I installed on to the hard drive rather than the ssd, since it was empty and I was testing the install.

I did not ecrypt the install so I can modify it from ubuntu.

The install was nice apart from not recognising the touchpad (got caught in a help screen and had to connect a mouse to escape).

On reboot it does not boot.

The Q graphic screen is shown.

then it hangs (the cpu fan was going full blast)

Sorry did not write down the error message (something about cpu timming???)

Tried rebooting into xubuntu from USB, and I could see all the files in the qubes install.

Rebooted, and qubes went on to the next stage of the install??!!

-create default system qubes etc etc

Got a Dom0 error

/usr/sbin/service , qubest-netvm start failed
sterr Redirect to /bin/systemctl start qubes-return.service
Job for qubes-return.service failed because the control process exited with error code See "systemctl status qubest-return.service" and "journalctl -ve" for details

hit ok, showed qubes as ok, but went back in to look and had to wait whilst it went through the set up process again and came up with the same error.

Then finished install and rebooted

Came up fine, was trying to figure out how to get network to work. Decided to try a reboot.

Reboot - hung at end of Q screen
power down
Reboot - hung at end of Q screen
power down
boot into windows OK
reboot - hung at end of Q screen

Suggestions on how to turn off the Q screen and see what is happening behind the progress bar, and any logs that would be helpful.

Thanks
Ronald

Ronald Duncan

Nov 18, 2016, 3:15:15 PM11/18/16
to qubes-users
On Friday, 18 November 2016 19:44:09 UTC, Ronald Duncan wrote:

> Suggestions on how to turn off the Q screen and see what is happening behind the progress bar, and any logs that would be helpful.

Qubes start up Hit F10 for boot time diagnostics

Ronald Duncan

Nov 18, 2016, 3:25:41 PM11/18/16
to qubes-users

> reboot - hung at end of Q screen
Starting Switch Boot....
Error: Driver 'processor_agregator' is already registered, aborting....
Error: Driver 'processor_agregator' is already registered, aborting....
A start job is running for Qubes NetVM startup (2m 49s /no limit NMI watchdog:Bug soft lockup - CPU1 stuck for 22s! [libvirtd:2306]

This error repeats a number of times whilst I typed the above :)

with the occasional
1-....:(60000 ticks this GP) idle=0ef/14000000..lots..01/0 softirq-1076/1076 fqs=00000
(t=60000 jiffies g=2600 c=25999 q=0)

These two lines are consistant, the part that changes is the number of ticks that increases :)

Message has been deleted

Ronald Duncan

Dec 6, 2016, 8:11:41 AM12/6/16
to qubes-users
Changing grub config to boot with nouveau.modeset=0 gave me a good repeatable boot.

Now qubes is usable will investigate if everything else works:)

Ronald Duncan

Dec 6, 2016, 8:12:31 AM12/6/16
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 13:11:41 UTC, Ronald Duncan wrote:
> Changing grub config to boot with nouveau.modeset=0 gave me a good repeatable boot.
>
> Now qubes is usable will investigate if everything else works:)

Thanks to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Ronald Duncan

Dec 6, 2016, 8:30:05 AM12/6/16
to qubes-users
Looks like I will need to reinstall since things are not working/strange and I remember that when it first started up it did not go through the initial set up smoothly, and then would not boot.

Probably need to set up with nouveau.modeset=0 and then see the results:)

Ronald Duncan

Dec 6, 2016, 3:21:51 PM12/6/16
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 13:30:05 UTC, Ronald Duncan wrote:
> Looks like I will need to reinstall since things are not working/strange and I remember that when it first started up it did not go through the initial set up smoothly, and then would not boot.
>
> Probably need to set up with nouveau.modeset=0 and then see the results:)

Is there a way on the first boot after install prior to configuration to set nouveau.modeset=0

The configuration stage on first boot hangs and is buggy, and I would like to have a clean boot to configure, I have access to the /boot and so can alter config files. There is a big kernal config file, but no command line parameters, and the boot seems to be immediate with no grub delay.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 6, 2016, 7:25:02 PM12/6/16
to Ronald Duncan, qubes-users

Ronald Duncan

Dec 7, 2016, 7:41:05 AM12/7/16
to qubes-users, ronald.bo...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 00:25:02 UTC, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> > Is there a way on the first boot after install prior to configuration to set nouveau.modeset=0
>
> You can add it from grub menu. In UEFI mode (where grub is not used),
> just after installation - before reboot - go to tty2 and edit
> /mnt/sysroot/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and add nouveau.modeset=0 there
> (not sure if its mounted at exactly /mnt/sysroot - see `mount` output to
> be sure).
>
> > The configuration stage on first boot hangs and is buggy, and I would like to have a clean boot to configure, I have access to the /boot and so can alter config files. There is a big kernal config file, but no command line parameters, and the boot seems to be immediate with no grub delay.
>
> No grub - you're probably using UEFI. See above.
>
> - --
> Best Regards,
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Big thanks,
I had to mount the /boot/efi under linux because there was not enough time to edit before it crashed. Would have been much better to have edited it during the initial install as you suggested :)
Regards
Ronald

Ronald Duncan

Dec 7, 2016, 9:19:52 AM12/7/16
to qubes-users, ronald.bo...@gmail.com
Looks like everything is working
Ethernet
Wifi
usb

Issues during install I tried putting usb in a vm, (checking this and running under the net vm which hung the install.

Installing the default ticked vm's worked.

On installing from USB you need to do the following

just after installation - before reboot - go to tty2 (ctl+alt+F2) and edit
/mnt/sysroot/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of the Kernel= line

(not sure if its mounted at exactly /mnt/sysroot - see `mount` output to
be sure).

Big thanks to Marek!!
Regards
Ronald