which things are, and which things are not encrypted on the disk.

pandak...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 3:48:33 AM5/18/17
to qubes-users
I recently came across this PDF file stating that dom0 and the hypervisor (Xen) are stored unencrypted on the disk, because the disk wouldnt be able to boot(According to the PDF). but as far as I know, only /boot and GRUB are stored unencrypted. so is this PDF file wrong, or was I wrong (or both?).

Here you have a link to the file, you can find it on page 7:
http://www.cs.uu.nl/docs/vakken/b3sec/Proj15/QubesOS.pdf

Zrubi

May 18, 2017, 3:55:14 AM5/18/17
to pandak...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Andrew David Wong

May 20, 2017, 9:03:50 PM5/20/17
to pandak...@gmail.com, qubes-users

blacklight

May 22, 2017, 1:34:18 PM5/22/17
to qubes-users, pandak...@gmail.com

So the notion in the pdf file stating that dom0 is unecrypted is wrong i understand? also, what about xen, is it located in /boot or is it also encrypted?

Unman

May 22, 2017, 2:45:10 PM5/22/17
to blacklight, qubes-users
Yes, there's a fair bit in that paper that's wrong, and this certainly
is. But it's just a student paper isn't it?
Xen is included in /boot and is therefore unencrypted in a standard
install.

unman