Fujitsu Lifebook U757

Gep Petto

Oct 12, 2018, 4:42:27 PM10/12/18
to qubes-users
Why can't Qubes OS be installed on the Fujitsu Lifebook U757?
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/pc/notebooks/lifebook-u757/

Chris Laprise

Oct 12, 2018, 8:39:18 PM10/12/18
to Gep Petto, qubes-users
On 10/12/2018 04:42 PM, Gep Petto wrote:
> Why can't Qubes OS be installed on the Fujitsu Lifebook U757?
> http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/pc/notebooks/lifebook-u757/

Did you try?

Keep in mind that selecting a computer for Qubes comes with some general
constraints, so here is my 'compatibility lecture':

1. Computer must be compatible with open source OS/drivers. If open
source developers had to guess in order to make compatible drivers, then
the level of compatibility and stability may be poor.

2. Computer must have advanced virtualization and memory management
features which must be correctly configured and programmed by the
hardware vendor. But some of these features end up in models that aren't
marketed to advanced users, so the features are left unsupported or
mis-configured by the BIOS/motherboard to save on engineering costs.

Usually when Qubes doesn't work on a particular model its because of
some combination of 1 and 2. This is not surprising with models like the
U757 because the Fujitsu data sheet only lists MS Windows as a
compatible operating system.

-

My advice is to start looking for a Qubes laptop on the HCL page below
and/or look at business models from the 'big 3' manufacturers Dell,
Lenovo and HP in addition to Linux-focused System 76 and Purism which
the manufacturer describes as "Linux compatible" and does _not_ rely on
Nvidia graphics. Although that doesn't specifically address the Xen
aspect of Qubes, this is a pretty good starting point in general for
finding compatible hardware.

https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/

Users should note that "Compatible with MS Windows" is not the Good
Housekeeping Seal Of Approval For Linux Users... It means a partnership
exists between the hardware vendor and Microsoft without regard as to
whether or not design specs required to write good drivers have been
made available to open source/Linux developers or anyone else. It can
also mean that Microsoft intended that partnership (and hardware info)
to be exclusive meaning the info _won't_ be distributed to anyone else.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Tai...@gmx.com

Oct 13, 2018, 12:58:36 PM10/13/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Just get an a10 g505s and install coreboot (follow awokd's guides), I
have made many posts about laptop reccs you can search for with more
reccs in case that doesn't work for you for whatever reason.

On 10/12/2018 08:38 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:

> My advice is to start looking for a Qubes laptop on the HCL page below
> and/or look at business models from the 'big 3' manufacturers Dell

Their consumer models are terrible and don't work with linux fyi, many
of their business models don't either.

> Lenovo
Lenovo installs backdoors in the firmware on their new laptops, they
have been caught 4 times doing this. Don't support them.

> HP

They couldn't care less about linux.

> in addition to Linux-focused System 76
Dishonest - they lie and claim their laptops are "made in usa" which is
absolutely impossible for an x86 device what they are doing is a simple
screwdriver assembly which legally doesn't even qualify for "assembled
in usa"

> and Purism

VC funded scammers who sucker people in to buying faux-libre laptops
with a not actually disabled ME.