Can't update dom0?

Loren Rogers

Nov 16, 2016, 3:10:11 PM11/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I can't seem to update dom0 using the regular updater. The system keeps
telling me there are updates for dom0, but I can't get anything to
actually update. Is there something I'm missing here?

Clicking the "Update VM System" button with dom0 selected seems like it
starts, but it doesn't really go anywhere. I attached a screenshot of
the system after it gets going. Eventually, it'll just silently crash. I
can re-start the process, but it does the exact same thing.

I'm using R3.2 on a Thinkpad X201 Tablet.

Thanks!
Loren
Screenshot_2016-11-16_14-33-09.png

Fred

Nov 16, 2016, 4:34:21 PM11/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 16/11/2016 20:10, Loren Rogers wrote:
> Clicking the "Update VM System" button with dom0 selected seems like it
> starts, but it doesn't really go anywhere.

I recall reading something about this issue in the Qubes Wiki. IIRC,
they suggested to run the command manually from the command line;

qubes-dom0-update

Andrew David Wong

Nov 19, 2016, 6:31:52 AM11/19/16
to Loren Rogers, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Pawel Debski

Nov 21, 2016, 11:21:07 AM11/21/16
to qubes-users, lo...@lorentrogers.com

> On 2016-11-16 12:10, Loren Rogers wrote:
> > I can't seem to update dom0 using the regular updater. The system keeps telling me there are updates for dom0, but I can't get anything to actually update. Is there something I'm missing here?
> >
> > Clicking the "Update VM System" button with dom0 selected seems like it starts, but it doesn't really go anywhere. I attached a screenshot of the system after it gets going. Eventually, it'll just silently crash. I can re-start the process, but it does the exact same thing.
> >
> > I'm using R3.2 on a Thinkpad X201 Tablet.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Loren
> >

> Are you sure it's crashing instead of simply not finding any updates? There's a known issue with the update notification icon showing even when no updates are available:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2086

I had a very similar issue: right clicking updates run for a while and shown "no updates available", while

sudo qubes-dom0-update

installed a number of updates. Apparently there is a bug in GUI. Anyway I can live with it.

Loren Rogers

Nov 21, 2016, 12:12:40 PM11/21/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
No, I don't actually know what happens when it disappears. What would be
a good way to determine if it crashes or exits without updates? Is there
any indication that the process completed?

Andrew David Wong

Nov 25, 2016, 9:22:41 AM11/25/16
to Loren Rogers, qubes...@googlegroups.com

raah...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2016, 8:32:26 PM11/25/16
to qubes-users, lo...@lorentrogers.com
when I use gui, before it updates anything I have to select them all and then hit apply. It doesn't do that for you guys?