equivalent of grub kernel parameters on qubes?

Guerlan

Oct 25, 2019, 8:41:37 PM10/25/19
to qubes-users
There's a quirk for laptop suspend problem that I want to try on Qubes that is the following on Ubuntu:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="button.lid_init_state=open"

However dom0 does not have such file. How do I pass kernel parameters to Qubes?

unman

Oct 27, 2019, 10:59:05 AM10/27/19
to qubes-users
I have that file but I use standard(legacy) boot. Did you install with UEFI?
If you are using UEFI, I believe you can install a EFI shell and boot
into it to test change parameters. Or you can edit the file at
/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg to add your parameters.

NB I dont like UEFI and dont use it, but I think that pointer is right.
As always, back up any system files before you start changing them.

unman

Guerlan

Oct 28, 2019, 1:07:25 AM10/28/19
to qubes-users
I tried to locate that file on dom0 but I couldn't find. Was it supposed to be elsewhere? (yes, I installed with UEFI)

unman

Oct 28, 2019, 10:35:06 AM10/28/19
to qubes-users
The convention on these lists is to post at the bottom of the message,
so that a new reader can follow the sense by reading downwards. Can you
try to do that? All you have to do is scroll to the bottom and
start typing. Thanks.

So do you have /boot/efi/EFI?
What are contents?

Guerlan

Oct 28, 2019, 12:36:50 PM10/28/19
to qubes-users
I scrolled and couldn't find what you suggested.

The contents of /boot/efi/EFI is a qubes folder which has qubes kernels and xen.cfg, xen.efi

unman

Oct 30, 2019, 8:53:47 AM10/30/19
to qubes-users
I'm starting to think you are ideologically wedded to top-posting.
Believe me, once you've tried bottom posting you will never understand
why you did this.
I guess your mail software outs the cursor at the top of the message
when you h=it "Reply". Ignore this broken piece of garbage.Take
control. Scroll to the bottom of the message, deleting any
unnecessary stuff on the way, and start typing. This will take you seconds,
compared to the minutes, perhaps hours, that other users will spend
flipping between top and bottom of the message, trying to understand
what's going on.
Try it.

e in hand - look at the contents of the (*flip to top of message,
sighs*) xen.cfg and xen.efi files. Is one of those the one you are
booting from?
(Not being a UEFI person - is there really no grub screen?)

unman

Guerlan

Dec 19, 2019, 10:01:38 PM12/19/19
to qubes-users
Am I doing things rigth now?

So, xen.cfg contains things like

default=4.19.71-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64

[4.14.74-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64]
options=loglvl=all dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M iommu=no-igfx ucode=scan smt=off
kernel=vmlinuz-4.14.74-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root rd.luks.uuid=luks-39... rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/root rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/swap i915.alpha_support=1 rhgb quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
ramdisk=initramfs-4.14.74-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
[4.19.71-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64]

which seem to be configuratioons to xen. Xen.efi gives me giant text with things like this:

ativesalloc_host_save_areastartup_cpu_idle_loopacpi_tb_create_local_fadt__trampoline_rel_startget_free_pirqcore2_no_vpmu_opsinject_vmceio_apic_read_remap_rteamd_iommu_setup_ioapic_remappinghpet_deinitvtd_ops_preamble_quirkvioapic_initsvm_vmexit_do_stgifree_domheap_pagesprocess_pending_softirqsnsvm_hap_walk_L1_p2mrangeset_domain_printkmcheck_initsetup_ept_dumpmapcache_vcpu_initmachine_to_phys_mapping_validautogen_entrypointsapic_versionpirq_shared__stop_bug_frames_0vcpu_restore_fpu_lazypaging_domain_initp2m_get_p2mpage_unlockdo_hvm_opdomain_pausecpufreq_gov_userspace__update_guest_eiplowmem_kbcontext_savedsvm_asid_initarch_do_vcpu_opcontinue_hypercall_on_cpuiommu_pt_cleanup_listinit_guest_l4_tablehvm_get_tsc_scaling_rationode_online_mapvmx_pin_based_exec_controlmemguard_guard_rangehvm_x2apic_msr_writevideo_flagsacpi_initialize_tablesserial_endbootsimple_strtoulldomain_unpause_by_systemcontrollercpupool_get_by_idcmci_supportmcequirk

There's no grub screen as far as I know. It boots to a log screen with very small resolution and them qubes password input appears

awokd

Dec 20, 2019, 9:33:19 AM12/20/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Guerlan:

> Am I doing things rigth now?

Pretty much, thank you. It's also considerate to trim parts of the prior
thread that are no longer under active discussion, or needed for context.

> So, xen.cfg contains things like
>
> default=4.19.71-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64
>
> [4.14.74-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64]
> options=loglvl=all dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M iommu=no-igfx
> ucode=scan smt=off
> kernel=vmlinuz-4.14.74-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64
> root=/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root rd.luks.uuid=luks-39...
> rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/root rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/swap i915.alpha_support=1
> rhgb quiet plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
> ramdisk=initramfs-4.14.74-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
> [4.19.71-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64]
>
> which seem to be configuratioons to xen.

That's correct, but the kernel= line also passes along kernel
configuration options. For example, i915.alpha_support=1 is a kernel
option, not Xen. Add your custom options at the end of that line.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

244clar...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2019, 11:20:22 AM12/22/19
to qubes-users

On Wednesday, 30 October 2019 12:53:47 UTC, unman wrote:
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 09:36:50AM -0700, Guerlan wrote:

I'm starting to think you are ideologically wedded to top-posting.
Believe me, once you've tried bottom posting you will never understand
why you did this.
I guess your mail software outs the cursor at the top of the message
when you h=it "Reply". ...

On some packages & web interfaces it is worse than that :(

For example on the gmail app for Android, it hides the quoted text, so it is
far too easy for a newcomer to this forum to not even realise what you meant
when you said "scroll to the bottom of the text."

To be able to bottom post on such platforms, you need to enable the quoted text,
typically and confusingly Google calls this "Respond in line". Having done that,
the user can then follow your advice to scroll past deleting on the way.

I know this is off topic, but we can help ppl do things the Qubes way if we all
try to give them the most detailed advice.

Bottom posting reads better, but so many other forums use top posting, and too
many apps nudge this behaviour, so we are likely to have to go on explaining this.

R~~