Force a flatpaked application to open attachments, links etc. in a dismVM?

Johannes Graumann

May 24, 2022, 4:37:26 AM5/24/22
to qubes-users
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/how-to-use-disposables/#making-a-particular-application-open-everything-in-a-disposable
states:
> To do this [make a particular application open everything in a
> disposable VM], enable a service named app-dispvm.X in that qube,
> where X is the application ID.

and invokes `app-dispvm.thunderbird` as an example.

How would you do that for an application installes and run through
flatpak?

Thanks for any pointers.

Sincerely, Joh

Demi Marie Obenour

May 24, 2022, 12:35:33 PM5/24/22
to Johannes Graumann, qubes-users

Johannes Graumann

May 28, 2022, 6:56:59 AM5/28/22
to Demi Marie Obenour, qubes-users
On Tue, 2022-05-24 at 12:35 -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 10:37:18AM +0200, Qubes OS Users Mailing List
> wrote:
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/how-to-use-disposables/#making-a-particular-application-open-everything-in-a-disposable
> > states:
> > >  To do this [make a particular application open everything in a
> > > disposable VM], enable a service named app-dispvm.X in that
> > > qube,
> > > where X is the application ID.
> >
> > and invokes `app-dispvm.thunderbird` as an example.
> >
> > How would you do that for an application installes and run through
> > flatpak?
>
> Flatpak-installed applications still have an application ID, which is
> what gets passed to qubes.StartApp to launch the application.

Thank you for your answer. Lengthy googling has dug up no answer to
what an "application ID" actually is or how to look it up. Could you
please help with that? Given a running program, how do I identify it?

Demi Marie Obenour

May 30, 2022, 2:11:36 PM5/30/22
to Johannes Graumann, qubes-users
It is the name of the .desktop file the application has within the VM.
For Flatpak apps, I believe it will always be the ID of the flatpak (the
reverse-DNS name).
signature.asc

Johannes Graumann

Jun 3, 2022, 4:52:01 AM6/3/22
to Demi Marie Obenour, qubes-users
Thank you.
I did the following:
1) in `dom0`:
> qvm-service task-privcom app-dispvm.org.gnome.Evolution on

2) restart task-privcom

This does not work: neither *.pdf, nor *.jpeg, etc. get opened in a
dispvm when opening (double clicking) from within Evolution ...

Further pointers?

Sincerely, Joh

Demi Marie Obenour

Jun 10, 2022, 4:56:49 PM6/10/22