Opengl, passwords, crypt, vpn and docs

Eva Star

Jun 27, 2016, 9:18:28 PM6/27/16
to qubes-users
1) VPN doc say at the first part that need to add "network-manager" and enable it. At the second part it's without "network-manager". When/On what situations I need I enable?

2) At the second part of VPN doc. How exactly DNS line at vpnclient.config must be written ?

vpn_dns '1.2.3.4.5 2.3.4.5.6'

Is it correct line?

3) I'm worry about hdd encryption by cryptosetup. Is it strong by default? We can not choose ALGs at installer...
3.1) How can I change password for my LUKS drive ? Maybe docs page about that?
3.2) How can I reencrupt full disk with ALG? What ALG is used by default?
3.3) How to increase number of iterations to count password hash?
3.4.0) Is it possible to install other crpt.software to dom0 and make container to store vms on it (layer 2 for some vms)? Will QM work when vms not accessible before container will be mounted by user manually ?
3.4.1) Why we have option to start VMs with mounded ISO from other VMs (--cdrom=VMNAME:/path/to/some.iso) , but we can not start the same way raw image? (qvm-start somevm --image=othervm:/path/to/raw/image.img)

Maybe with such options it will be possible to have some CryptoVm with some superprivate images and crypt them on VM? I'm talking about some easy way to add layer 2 of encryption to some VMs without additional software at dom0

4) OpenGL PV - Have Xen some graphic accelerations? As I remember, I read somewhere that Marek wrote that it have, but Qubes Team made decision to switch it off, because it expands a vector of attack. But why not to give users possibility to enable it for some VMs? Maybe for VMs without Network (multimedia VMs).

5) "Files" not start every time when I click on shortcut to start it :-/ Time to time only after 3 clicks it starts.

Andrew David Wong

Jun 28, 2016, 8:43:53 AM6/28/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

On 2016-06-27 18:18, Eva Star wrote:
> 3) I'm worry about hdd encryption by cryptosetup. Is it strong by
> default? We can not choose ALGs at installer...

It uses cryptsetup (LUKS/dm-crypt) under the hood. You can configure
the settings manually from the command line by following the
instructions here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/encryption-config/

> 3.1) How can I change password for my LUKS drive ? Maybe docs page
> about that? 3.2) How can I reencrupt full disk with ALG? What ALG
> is used by default? 3.3) How to increase number of iterations to
> count password hash?

All three of these questions are answered (or should be answered) by
the cryptsetup man page and/or FAQ:

http://linux.die.net/man/8/cryptsetup
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

> 3.4.0) Is it possible to install other crpt.software to dom0 and
> make container to store vms on it (layer 2 for some vms)? Will QM
> work when vms not accessible before container will be mounted by
> user manually ?

This sounds like it falls under the "per-VM encryption" idea that has
been discussed extensively on these lists over the years. See this
issue, for example:

> 5) "Files" not start every time when I click on shortcut to start
> it :-/ Time to time only after 3 clicks it starts.

Is it this?

If so, looks like the fix is already in the testing repo.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Chris Laprise

Jun 28, 2016, 9:57:14 AM6/28/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users
On 06/27/2016 09:18 PM, Eva Star wrote:
> 1) VPN doc say at the first part that need to add "network-manager"
> and enable it. At the second part it's without "network-manager".
> When/On what situations I need I enable?

When using a proxy vm to run the vpn client, you can either enable
network manager or you can setup the client (e.g. openvpn, etc.)
manually in the CLI. So the CLI method with scripts doesn't require
enabling network manager in the proxy vm.

> 2) At the second part of VPN doc. How exactly DNS line at
> vpnclient.config must be written ?
>
> |vpn_dns '1.2.3.4.5 2.3.4.5.6' |
>
> Is it correct line?

The complete correct line would be:
setenv vpn_dns '1.2.3.4.5 2.3.4.5.6'

Chris

Eva Star

Jun 28, 2016, 10:52:32 PM6/28/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com
This sounds like it falls under the "per-VM encryption" idea that has
been discussed extensively on these lists over the years. See this
issue, for example:

No, it's not like it's discussed on the link. I'm about using other software for creating such container(s) for some vms, because this will decrease vector of attacks at situations when cryptsetup will be compromised. At such situations other software on layer 2 will help!
Maybe yes, it can be "per vm", but somehow it must use any software for this operations.

Eva Star

Jul 3, 2016, 7:47:10 AM7/3/16
to qubes-users
Please, somebody who can. Add the information to qubes-issue  that we need to user other software then cryptsetup to crypt AppVMs containers (For layer 2)

Andrew David Wong

Jul 3, 2016, 11:32:49 AM7/3/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users