Dell XPS 850 Desktop

juh

Dec 27, 2017, 10:36:02 AM12/27/17
to qubes-users
Hi all,

the Dell XPS 850 Desktop does not show up in the HCL. It is several
years old and has an Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8

There is a LITEONIT LMT-32L3M (LWDA) with 32 GB SSD and a 2TB hard disk.

Has anyone installed Qubes on this model?

I can install an additionally 120 GB SSD to install Qubes.

Now my question on how to proceed.

Where shall I install Qubes? On the 32 GB LITEONIT or on a new 120 GB SSD?

I don't need more than 120 GB for daily work.

I would like to use the 2TB for mass data (Videos, Pictures, Music).

Can I just mount the hard disk from one VM or how does this work?

juh

Tai...@gmx.com

Dec 27, 2017, 1:04:05 PM12/27/17
to juh, qubes-users
On 12/27/2017 10:35 AM, juh wrote:

> Hi all,
Yo sup.
> the Dell XPS 850 Desktop does not show up in the HCL. It is several
> years old and has an Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8
>
> There is a LITEONIT LMT-32L3M (LWDA) with 32 GB SSD and a 2TB hard disk.
>
> Has anyone installed Qubes on this model?
It should work, worst case scenario if dell didn't implement
virtualization tech properly as coreboot supports sandy/ivy bridge with
open source init (and ME cleaner to nerf but not disable ME) you use
coreboot autoport tool to make a coreboot port for it.
> I can install an additionally 120 GB SSD to install Qubes.
>
> Now my question on how to proceed.
>
> Where shall I install Qubes? On the 32 GB LITEONIT or on a new 120 GB SSD?
The 120GB SSD obviously 32GB is risky business.
> I don't need more than 120 GB for daily work.
>
> I would like to use the 2TB for mass data (Videos, Pictures, Music).
>
> Can I just mount the hard disk from one VM or how does this work?
Yeah you can although for maximum performance you should use an SR-IOV
HBA, assign the disk to a VF and the VF to the VM.
The xen (and KVM) emulated disk stuff is slow and the I/O is even slower
I have never been able to figure out how to make it not suck.