Unable to install 3.2-rc1 on Thinkpad T450s

41wycb+5v6...@guerrillamail.com

Jun 26, 2016, 2:08:35 PM6/26/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've disabled all support for UEFI in the BIOS, having enabled only support to Legacy mode. I've also disabled the secure boot having enabled the 'USB UEFI BIOS Support'.
At this stage I'm able to get the grub splash screen and when I try to boot Qubes I get:

After this the laptop simply reboots and I'm back to square one again.

I've even tried to upgrade my BIOS to the latest stable version (1.24) but this has produced no improvements.

Any idea what may cause this? What I'm missing?

Thanks

----
Sent using GuerrillaMail.com
Block or report abuse: https://www.guerrillamail.com/abuse/?a=UFR2AB5NVqcQmh2U93EQdRjCStifx8dDiadNcQ%3D%3D

Chris Laprise

Jun 26, 2016, 4:59:38 PM6/26/16
to 41wycb+5v6...@guerrillamail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 06/26/2016 02:08 PM, 41wycb+5v6q0qb48s8dk via qubes-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've disabled all support for UEFI in the BIOS, having enabled only support to Legacy mode. I've also disabled the secure boot having enabled the 'USB UEFI BIOS Support'.
> At this stage I'm able to get the grub splash screen and when I try to boot Qubes I get:

> After this the laptop simply reboots and I'm back to square one again.
>
> I've even tried to upgrade my BIOS to the latest stable version (1.24) but this has produced no improvements.
>

> Any idea what may cause this? What I'm missing?
>
> Thanks

I think a T550 user is having a similar problem...
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-devel/3f5b2229-aeea-49db-93cb-ed3e8feccb15%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Chris

41xtu2+ah6...@guerrillamail.com

Jun 26, 2016, 6:25:03 PM6/26/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Got some updates, it appears the problem was caused due to UEFI issues as described here - https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/

I manage to install Qubes R3.2Rc1 and followed the instructions in order to append the mapbs=1
& noexitboot=1 to the file /mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg

However when I reboot, grub doesn't appear to be installed - system boots automatically and it hangs on the same four penguins. It appears the mapbs=1 & noexitboot=1 at the xen.cfg had produced no effects.

Any ideas??

41zxmg+5q...@guerrillamail.com

Jun 27, 2016, 5:05:11 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ping...

Anyone knows how to pass these parameters (mapbs=1 & noexitboot=1) onto the kernel on boot time? Changing the xen.cfg simply does not work.

Thank you

Alex

Jun 27, 2016, 5:12:47 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 06/27/2016 11:05 AM, 41zxmg+5qvzr7o3u2us via qubes-users wrote:
> Ping...
>
> Anyone knows how to pass these parameters (mapbs=1 & noexitboot=1)
> onto the kernel on boot time? Changing the xen.cfg simply does not
> work.
If you are working in an AppVM, you can add the kernel boot parameters
in the qubes.xml in /var/lib/qubes/qubes.xml in dom0. Find your AppVM,
set "kernelopts" and "use_default_kernelopts" accordingly.

If you want to pass them in dom0 just one time, you can stop GRUB boot
and edit the command line with the "e" key, when the menu is displayed.

If you want to persist that in dom0, please check the working of grub2.
You will have to set the options in /etc/default/grub and then run

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

to persist your changes. The /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file is a collection
of output from various scripts, mainly for recovery purposes, that is
recreated from /etc/default/grub and other files, that's why you have to
edit that.

--
Alex

signature.asc

41zxmg+5q...@guerrillamail.com

Jun 27, 2016, 5:23:34 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion but this doesn't relate to the problem at hands.

At this stage I'm simply not able to install Qubes 3.2Rc1 due to the UEFI implementation from lenovo. I followed the indications posted in this article (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/) and I was able to install Qubes (passing the kernel parameters /mapbs /noexitboot). However after the installation is completed and after enabled the same corresponding parameters (mapbs=1 noexitboot=1) on the installed system into /mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg I'm not able to boot the new installed system as this hangs on the same four penguins that were showed during the installation.

Thus, I suspect added kernel parameters on the xen.cfg are not being passed.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Jeremy Rand

Jun 27, 2016, 5:32:34 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

41zxmg+5q...@guerrillamail.com

Jun 27, 2016, 5:39:57 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, I did try to append the parameters at the end of both kernel lines:

kernel=vmlinuz-4.4.12-9 (...) mapbs=1 noexitboot=1 rhgb quiet

If this is not correct then where should I add those?

Thanks

41zxmg+5q...@guerrillamail.com

Jun 27, 2016, 5:45:18 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

You are awesome, that does work indeed. The tutorial is a bit unclear, but when I add this as two separate lines it works smoothly :)

Many thanks :)

Jeremy Rand

Jun 27, 2016, 5:55:35 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

7v5w7go9ub0o

Jun 27, 2016, 8:57:08 AM6/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 06/27/2016 09:32 AM, Jeremy Rand wrote:

> I don't know if this is your issue, but the instructions are a bit
> ambiguous. I initially tried adding those params to the end of the
> "kernel" lines, but they had no effect. You actually need to add the
> params on 2 separate new lines (1 line per param), at the end of each
> section that includes a kernel line. (I.e. all sections except the
> first one, because it doesn't have a kernel line.)
>
> @Andrew David Wong, any chance those instructions could be made a
> little bit more clear? I'm totally okay with the fact that I lost a
> few hours debugging this (I'm using a release candidate, after all),
> but I imagine some users might find this frustrating.
>
> Cheers,
> - -Jeremy Rand

Thank You both from here (T440P); there is again hope.

Andrew David Wong

Jun 27, 2016, 3:27:45 PM6/27/16
to Jeremy Rand, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 1, 2016, 5:49:43 AM7/1/16
to 41zxmg+5q...@guerrillamail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

pfre...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 2:42:53 PM8/26/16
to qubes-users, 41wycb+5v6...@guerrillamail.com

Thanks, I was getting this on the thinkpad x260 as well.
I'll let you know my results.

PS. I was very happy with 3.1 on my x260 except for the inability to suspend, so I tried the upgrade and it wouldn't even boot off USB.

So I pulled the drive, put it in another laptop (Samsung ATIV book 9 plus) and 3.2 installed and worked. I updated everything, put the drive back in the x260 and boot borked.

pfre...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 4:27:08 PM8/26/16
to qubes-users, 41wycb+5v6...@guerrillamail.com, pfre...@gmail.com

Adding:
mapbs=1
noexitboot=1

to xen.cfg
did not fix the issue. Suggestions?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 29, 2016, 10:20:01 PM8/29/16
to pfre...@gmail.com, qubes-users, 41wycb+5v6...@guerrillamail.com

pfre...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 1:12:20 PM8/30/16
to qubes-users, pfre...@gmail.com, 41wycb+5v6...@guerrillamail.com
I got it working. The HCL was posted yesterday, thanks!

Great design and software! I'm still getting used to working a little differently from my normal linux distro, but I see a great future for Qubes.

habib.b...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2016, 12:02:14 PM10/4/16
to qubes-users
I have a T450s and I followed instructions exactly
I am using a USB device which I used Rufus to instal the ISO image in DD mode and then I went into xen.cfg and did exactly as instructions stated but it keeps herring stuck in boot loop

Someone please help
Thanks

Robert Mittendorf

Oct 10, 2016, 12:56:39 PM10/10/16
to habib.b...@gmail.com, qubes-users
I think I found the solution to your problem - at least my issues with
booting Kernel 4.4 and Qubes 3.2 are solved now. I increased the total
graphics memory from 256 MB to 512 MB - and boom, here you go!

habib.b...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2017, 9:06:52 AM7/2/17
to qubes-users, habib.b...@gmail.com, mitte...@digitrace.de

Can someone help me, I am still trying to install 3.2 and it is not working, I keep getting stuck into a boot loop