R3.2 rc2 blank screen - screenlock issue?

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 9:43:59 AM8/25/16
to qubes-users
Problem description:

After using the system all day (including unlocking and unlocking the screen just fine) and then leaving it overnight I come back to a blank screen.

Doing a Ctrl-Alt-F2 gives me a command prompt but I can't get X to respond (with Ctrl-Alt-F1).

After a reboot all is well until after some apparently random period it happens again.

I've gone through the screen locker and power management settings in Xfce (turned power management off) and turned of power management in BIOS. No joy.

System spec: Qubes RC2 rc2 running Xfce on Intel NUC5i5YRH with 16G ssd. Kde is also installed but I'm not using it.

Has anyone got a solution?
--
Richard

Desobediente

Aug 25, 2016, 10:05:53 AM8/25/16
to qubes-users
I have the same issue using 3.1 since it launched, never bothered to find out why, nor filed anything in the issue tracker, I just turn the computer off and on again.

My screen blacks out, I can move the mouse and see the cursor moving in the screen, keyboards do not respond at all. If there's music playing, it still plays.

The Qubes machine stays 24/7 on, this happens let's say once every 3-7 days, I think.

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 10:45:01 AM8/25/16
to qubes-users, richard...@gmail.com
@ Desobediente

Yes I know it's seems trivial but I'm rolling it out to relatively inexperienced users and it never happened on any of my machines running R2, R3.0 or R3.1 (all on KDE).
--
Richard

Desobediente Civil

Aug 25, 2016, 12:08:11 PM8/25/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm not minimizing the importance of this. On the contrary, I'm
acknowledging it as a problem and adding my experience to that

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 6:01:22 AM8/26/16
to qubes-users
Understood, and sorry - that's a helpful comment. It's just been bugging me as it didn't happen on R2 R3.0 or R3.1 on multiple machines including the Intel NUC hardware.

Does anyone know where to start looking into the issue?
--
Richard

Andrew David Wong

Aug 26, 2016, 11:05:21 PM8/26/16
to richard...@gmail.com, qubes-users

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2016, 12:21:10 PM8/27/16
to qubes-users, richard...@gmail.com
Yes, could be. I've had 2 other Intel NUC units running fine so but I'll check the firmware revisions and BIOS settings.

Doug Hill

Aug 28, 2016, 6:42:11 PM8/28/16
to richard...@gmail.com, qubes-users

richard...@gmail.com:
Hi, I'm having a similar issue, which I believe may be caused by a bug
in xfce. I posted about it here in a previous thread:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/qwMzj2au6uE/qd_hU6EUBQAJ

Best of luck!

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 11:24:08 AM8/31/16
to qubes-users, richard...@gmail.com, cata...@riseup.net
Hi Doug

That might be the clue.

I waited until it happened again, did Ctrl-F2 and then restarted then xfsettingsd process with a kill -HUP.

Ctrl-F1 then got me back to the login for the X without having to reboot or restart VMs.

I've only tried this once ... if it's repeatable over the next few days it is at least a workaround until it's fixed in Xfce.
--
Richard

Desobediente Civil

Aug 31, 2016, 11:54:38 AM8/31/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I use KDE (XFCE is installed but never used) and I don't have the option
of using the keyboard. The num/caps/scroll lock lights won't change and
the keyboard doesn't seem to respond.

As I stated, the processes seem to be running, if there's a music
player, I can still hear it.

Will check SETUP settings (a.k.a. BIOS/UEFI)

Drew White

Sep 1, 2016, 12:25:01 AM9/1/16
to qubes-users

I've had the same issues since Qubes 2, when I first started using Qubes.
So it's an ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved. It has been the topic of a few threads.

richard...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2016, 4:18:13 AM9/1/16
to qubes-users
Happened again overnight - kill -HUP xsettingsd got it useable again.