Cloudflare DNS-over-HTTPS in Qubes?

Dominique St-Pierre Boucher

Apr 3, 2018, 3:16:54 PM4/3/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

Is there a way to have a DNS proxy in the sys-net interface that try to use DNS-over-HTTPS at 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) and if not working standard DNS with what was received by the DHCP.

Is it possible

Thanks

Dominique

cooloutac

Apr 3, 2018, 7:17:23 PM4/3/18
to qubes-users

Not sure what you are trying to do but yes I believe so. You can just make a whole nother separate custom proxyvm separate from sys-firewall.

Chris Laprise

Apr 3, 2018, 9:11:31 PM4/3/18
to Dominique St-Pierre Boucher, qubes-users

Tai...@gmx.com

Apr 5, 2018, 4:38:15 PM4/5/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Wow people are actually falling for cloudflares "privacy respecting"
bullshit from a service that uses for example browser fingerprinting on
every computer that it serves and blacklists sites based on how the CEO
is feeling that morning.

They are a front for an intelligence agency - cloudflare is able to
monitor most of the internet now that many major sites have bought in to
their bogus kinda blackmail model of pay or get DDOS'ed when in reality
the average site had no need for such a service before cloudflare existed.

Not to mention big issues like cloudbleed.

You should use a different DNS from a more reputable company.
0xDF372A17.asc

799

Apr 5, 2018, 4:54:30 PM4/5/18
to Tai...@gmx.com, qubes-users
Hello,

On 5 April 2018 at 22:38, Tai...@gmx.com <Tai...@gmx.com> wrote:
Wow people are actually falling for cloudflares "privacy respecting"
bullshit from a service that uses for example browser fingerprinting on
every computer that it serves and blacklists sites based on how the CEO
is feeling that morning. [...]

Can your provide some additonal information to cover this?
Regarding the blacklisting you are refering to the "Daily Stormer" case?
Discussed also here;
https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-terminated-daily-stormer/

What exactly do you mean by browser fingerprinting?
Are you talking about Browser Integrity Checks?
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170086-What-does-the-Browser-Integrity-Check-do-

"[...] Cloudflare's Browser Integrity Check (BIC) is similar to Bad Behavior and looks for common HTTP
 headers abused most commonly by spammers and denies access to your page.  It will also challenge
 visitors that do not have a user agent or a non standard user agent (also commonly used by abuse
 bots, crawlers or visitors) [...]"

You wrote: "They are a front for an intelligence agency"

In general I'd like to that see claims - no matter which - are based on evidence or at least facts.
How do you come to this conclusion?

[799]

Tai...@gmx.com

Apr 7, 2018, 8:56:34 AM4/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 04/05/2018 04:54 PM, 799 wrote:

Hello,

On 5 April 2018 at 22:38, Tai...@gmx.com <Tai...@gmx.com> wrote:

Wow people are actually falling for cloudflares "privacy respecting"
bullshit from a service that uses for example browser fingerprinting on
every computer that it serves and blacklists sites based on how the CEO
is feeling that morning. [...]

Can your provide some additonal information to cover this?
Regarding the blacklisting you are refering to the "Daily Stormer" case?
Discussed also here;
https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-terminated-daily-stormer/
Yes - today the lunatic fringe next the normal you and me websites - ex: now in court the rights enforcement companies are using that decision to argue that cloudflare can and should remove websites see the ALS-Scan case.

I don't trust a company that makes choices based on the CEO's feelings instead of boardroom policy.
What exactly do you mean by browser fingerprinting?
You have to have javascript enabled to view a cloudflare website because it wants to fingerprint your computer.
Are you talking about Browser Integrity Checks?
Oh yeah its for our own good and companies never lie.
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170086-What-does-the-Browser-Integrity-Check-do-

"[...] Cloudflare's Browser Integrity Check (BIC) is similar to Bad
Behavior and looks for common HTTP
 headers abused most commonly by spammers and denies access to your page.
It will also challenge
 visitors that do not have a user agent or a non standard user agent (also
commonly used by abuse
 bots, crawlers or visitors) [...]"

You wrote: "They are a front for an intelligence agency"

In general I'd like to that see claims - no matter which - are based on
evidence or at least facts.
How do you come to this conclusion?
Because they are now able to monitor most of the internet? Tell me that isn't an absolutely perfect situation.
0xDF372A17.asc

cooloutac

Apr 7, 2018, 7:59:15 PM4/7/18
to qubes-users

They are the same guys that have protected booter sites and many other shady sites to the chagrin of many So they don't cave to gov't pressure that easy if it makes you feel any better, but ya what dns servers do you recommend?