Changing default applications in dispvm template

js...@riseup.net

Jul 6, 2017, 9:50:03 PM7/6/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I followed the instructions in the Qubes docs to create a dispvm
template based on the whonix-ws template. I installed a few applications
in the template (gedit, libreoffice, etc.) and I've been able to
customize my dispvm by setting preferences in applications.

I'm having trouble changing the default applications that files open in
though. For example, whenever I open a plain text file in a dispvm, it
opens in libreoffice. I want it to open in gedit instead. I'm having a
similar issue with pdf and image files.

I tried using update-alternatives in whonix-ws-dvm, but that didn't work
for me (the only options for editors were non-gui editors like nano and
vim). Changing the default application in the file manager (dolphin) in
whonix-ws-dvm also doesn't work for me.

I'm able to get around this by opening a terminal in a dispvm, then
using the "copy to vm" feature to copy the text file to my new dispvm,
then opening gedit in terminal, then opening the file from
QubesIncoming, but this is a pain.

Does anyone know how to change the default applications for dispvms?

Unman

Jul 7, 2017, 7:41:51 AM7/7/17
to js...@riseup.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com
This has been covered a number of times on the list - it's a subset of
configuring the dispVMTemplate. If setting it in file manager doesnt
work then mimeopen should serve.
There was a thread "How to set file association in disposable VMs" 6
months back - that should have everything you need.

unman

oro...@riseup.net

Jul 7, 2017, 2:34:07 PM7/7/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Unman:
Thank you very much, the instructions in that other thread worked perfectly!

I might have performed some unnecessary steps, but here's what I did:

1. Open dolphin in whonix-ws.
2. Set file association for all desired filetypes in dolphin.
3. Use mimeopen -d in whonix-ws terminal to set default for all filetypes.
4. Shut down whonix-ws.
5. qvm-run -a whonix-ws-dvm konsole in dom0 terminal to open terminal in
whonix-ws-dvm.
6. Perform same steps as above (set file association in dolphin and with
mimeopen -d).
7. touch /home/user/.qubes-dispvm-customized in whonix-ws-dvm terminal.
8. Shut down whonix-ws-dvm.
9. qvm-create-default-dvm whonix-ws in dom0 terminal.