Newbie question on KDE configuration

bill...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2018, 12:14:24 PM1/27/18
to qubes-users
I installed Qubes 4 rc3 yesterday and am having a great time exploring it. I'm kind of a KDE person, so I installed KDE, and it works pretty much like a charm, though I'm having a bit of an issue personalizing it.

If anybody can give me some aid, I'd appreciate it.

First, while KDE seems to be working well, I noticed that I can't download and install new themes, widgets, etc. through the KDE GUI. It can't connect to the KDE server. I'm assuming that this is because dom0 doesn't actually have a network connection (which I think I read somewhere). It's not the end of the world for me to download the stuff from kde.org and install it from file, but it's more convenient to use the gui interface. What I need to know is if it is possible or should I move on and just do it by hand.

Second, I really liked that convention in the default window manager for having a different color for the title bar for each domain. That got lost when I moved to KDE, though the domain is still *listed* in the title bar. I know how to set colors in kwin on an application by application basis, but I don't know how to do it on a domain basis. Is there a mechanism for that in KDE?

Thanks in advance!

billo

Tom Zander

Jan 28, 2018, 7:59:26 PM1/28/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, bill...@gmail.com
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 18:14:23 CET bill...@gmail.com wrote:
> First, while KDE seems to be working well, I noticed that I can't download
> and install new themes, widgets, etc. through the KDE GUI. It can't
> connect to the KDE server. I'm assuming that this is because dom0
> doesn't actually have a network connection (which I think I read
> somewhere). It's not the end of the world for me to download the stuff
> from kde.org and install it from file, but it's more convenient to use
> the gui interface. What I need to know is if it is possible or should I
> move on and just do it by hand.

The AdminVM (dom0) indeed has no network, the reason for this is that it is
the one completely trusted place.
I would advice against installing anything you downloaded from KDE directly,
as that basically works around all the security you get by running qubes in
the first place.

> Second, I really liked that convention in the default window manager for
> having a different color for the title bar for each domain. That got
> lost when I moved to KDE, though the domain is still *listed* in the
> title bar. I know how to set colors in kwin on an application by
> application basis, but I don't know how to do it on a domain basis. Is
> there a mechanism for that in KDE?

This got readded in a recent update in the 'testing' repo, but only on the
default window-manager decorations called Breeze.

So make sure you are up-to-date and make sure you are using Breeze.

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io

bill...@gmail.com