HCL report for Lenovo ThinkPad T520 4240-4HG

yre...@riseup.net

Mar 21, 2018, 9:04:53 PM3/21/18
to Qubes Users
Jan Hustak

Feb 6

Hello,

See attached. Regarding BIOS settings mentioned in "remark": the
combination of both VT-d and Discrete Graphics being ON causes the
installer to freeze. If configured post-install, it causes the OS to
freeze while booting.

Turning VT-d OFF allows for installation (with warning) but breaks
networking and who knows what else. As the remark states, the proper
configuration is VT-d ON and Discrete Graphics OFF.

jh

---------

Hello, per
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/TB0r0Qv0yhc/l4e1tsCBAQAJ

I am attempting to install Q4.0 rc5 from a USB drive on a Thinkpad T520
4240-4AU UEFI BIOS Version 8AET62WW (1.42)

I note from the HCL Mr.Jan , says to disable "discrete graphics" (I did
enable VT-d) , If I go to Config -> Display , there is no reference to
"discrete graphics" it offers 1 option on Boot Display Device "thinkpad
LCD", Analog VGA , etc

Further, I have chosen "UEFI only" in the Startup-> UEFI/Legacy Boot
choice AND
I see no "secure boot" anywhere to disable.

NOW when I boot off the USB Drive I see the line of penguins and then
probably all the loading information BUT, it is all in warped and
unreadable ..... So , I tried Legacy Mode, and it just stops @ a "
failed to load ldlinux.c32" etc

I , also , am aware of :
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/thinkpad-troubleshooting/

but, again there is no "secure boot" option to disable ; this USB
stick *Was created with dd if of ; but the URL doesn't specifically
reference the T520 .......... and the solution looks quite involved
...... is this my only choice at this stage ?

or is there some "discrete graphics" to disable that I can't find ??

the HCL Bios version Mr. Jan references for 4.0 is 8AET51WW (1.31 )
, if anything mine seems to be slightly newer and should it have
"discrete graphics" to disable ?

with the graphics messed up, don't think I can't get to the Intel
HD3000 reference, that seems to be something to be done after
installation in any event?