AEM with Linux 4.4 causes hard reboot (cont... Trying to resolve issue)

Chris Laprise

Jul 15, 2016, 7:39:03 PM7/15/16
to qubes-users, Andrew David Wong, Todd Lasman
On 07/15/2016 09:33 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:

> On 07/13/2016 11:15 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:
>>
>> I am able to get 4.4.* to boot now! The trick was to add
>> 'min_ram=0x2000000' to the tboot options like I used to do--the AEM
>> README describes how.
>>
>> But now I cannot get AEM to seal the secret. Nothing at all about AEM
>> is displayed during startup, even though rd.antievilmaid is on the
>> kernel options line.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> For the record, AEM is now working on my system. The other thing that
> was required was to update the anti-evil-maid package to version 3.0.3.
>
> Chris

@Andrew, Todd Lasman...

Could one/both of you try this out ...please? :D Especially the tboot
workaround; It only requires pressing 'e' at the grub prompt and adding
the parameter to the multiboot tboot line (then press Ctrl-x to boot).

It would be good to see if this works on other machines before either
closing the issue[1] or inquiring upstream.

Thanks,
Chris

1. https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2155

Todd Lasman

Jul 15, 2016, 10:09:35 PM7/15/16
to Chris Laprise, qubes-users, Andrew David Wong
Will do, Chris. Thanks for working this out. May take a few days to get to this, though. I'll report back.
By the way, where did you get the aem 3.0.3 package? I've only got 3.0.2 available.

Todd
signature.asc

Chris Laprise

Jul 15, 2016, 10:12:22 PM7/15/16
to Todd Lasman, qubes-users, Andrew David Wong
Cool. Try this:

sudo qubes-dom0-update anti-evil-maid --enablerepo=qubes*testing

Chris

Andrew David Wong

Jul 16, 2016, 6:23:29 AM7/16/16
to Chris Laprise, qubes-users, Todd Lasman

tel

Jul 30, 2016, 5:44:24 PM7/30/16
to qubes-users
Sorry for the delay, Chris. I was waiting for 3.2-rc2, which I just installed. It seems to come with the latest AEM package, so I didn't have to install that package myself.

I added the parameter to the tboot line. It didn't reboot, but it hung before asking for the password with "Waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/aem* to be connected..."

Not sure where to go from here.

Todd

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 30, 2016, 5:52:16 PM7/30/16
to tel, qubes-users

Todd Lasman

Jul 30, 2016, 6:48:15 PM7/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 07/30/2016 02:52 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 02:44:24PM -0700, tel wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, Chris. I was waiting for 3.2-rc2, which I just installed. It seems to come with the latest AEM package, so I didn't have to install that package myself.

> I added the parameter to the tboot line. It didn't reboot, but it hung before asking for the password with "Waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/aem* to be connected..."

> Not sure where to go from here.

Do you use also USB VM? In that case, dom0 has no access to USB
controllers...

But you can re-enable it just for boot time by editing /etc/default/grub
and removing the line with "hide_all_usb" (or just comment it out). Then
rerun `grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg`.
It will expose dom0 for all connected USB devices for a short time
during system startup.

Yep. That's the ticket.

I can confirm that Chris' method works, and I now have a working anti-evil-maid! Thanks Chris and Marek!

signature.asc

Andrew David Wong

Jul 30, 2016, 7:18:34 PM7/30/16
to Todd Lasman, qubes...@googlegroups.com

donoban

Jul 31, 2016, 1:41:52 PM7/31/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Jul 31, 2016, 4:30:56 PM7/31/16
to donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 4:38:44 PM7/31/16
to Andrew David Wong, donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Jul 31, 2016, 4:43:09 PM7/31/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Jul 31, 2016, 4:45:12 PM7/31/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Jul 31, 2016, 5:45:50 PM7/31/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 7:14:36 PM7/31/16
to Andrew David Wong, donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

donoban

Aug 1, 2016, 4:05:31 AM8/1/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 07/31/2016 11:45 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2016-07-31 13:45, Andrew David Wong wrote:

Yes, but if some user is reading USB Qubes doc, it's very likely he
will try to do a sys-usb himself.

I have some problems related to sys-usb. I did the installation of
Qubes 3.2 on my parents house with a Logitech keyboard. When I
returned to my house, after two or three tries before discovering this
thread, my Microsoft keyboard didn't work.

Fortunately, I have another Logitech keyboard here (also USB) and I
could boot my system. I guess the problem was the initramfs, it was
generated with the logitech keyboard connected so It doesn't load
modules for Microsoft.

This could cause hilarious scenarios, you go with your cool ultra
secure computer to show a friend how nice is Qubes and you end being
unable to boot your computer. I think initramfs should include most
keyboard drivers as possible...

After recreating the initramfs I could unlock my hard disk, but when I
went to the login screen, the keyboard didn't work! And the mouse
didn't work too! Well, I have a Dell monitor with USB ports. I have
both keyboard and mouse connected directly to the monitor. I
disconnected the keyboard from the monitor and connected it directly
to the computer and I could login into my xfce session. Few seconds
after login, the mouse started to work, I disconnected the keyboard
from the computer and reconnected to the monitor and it worked fine.
What could be happening? Is sys-usb supposed to wait for do something
after login?

Last problem (maybe should be posted in a new thread):

the main motivation for testing Qubes 3.2 for me was the USB
passtrough because it would nice for me to connect a WiFi dongle or a
Android smartphone with tethering. After install it (on my parent's
house), I tested the WiFi dongle. It was attached fine, but on the
dest VM it complained about unexpected errors and suggested a cable
problem. With the Android tethering it worked fine.

But now, when I try to attach it to a VM it says:
"ERROR: Device attach failed: Invalid speed recieved"

It also says when doing any qvm-usb command:
"Invalid 3-7 device desc in VM 'sys-usb'"

It's my Microsoft keyboard, but I think the error doesn't has relation
with the other error.

Any help is appreciated in advance, regards :)

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 1, 2016, 10:19:39 AM8/1/16
to donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

If you like to modify hardware, it's good idea to disable host-only mode
in /etc/dracut.conf. This will include most of the drivers.

Otherwise, I think it's actually a feature to have as little as possible
drivers in initramfs, as sys-usb nor sys-net are running yet.

> After recreating the initramfs I could unlock my hard disk, but when I
> went to the login screen, the keyboard didn't work! And the mouse
> didn't work too! Well, I have a Dell monitor with USB ports. I have
> both keyboard and mouse connected directly to the monitor. I
> disconnected the keyboard from the monitor and connected it directly
> to the computer and I could login into my xfce session. Few seconds
> after login, the mouse started to work, I disconnected the keyboard
> from the computer and reconnected to the monitor and it worked fine.
> What could be happening? Is sys-usb supposed to wait for do something
> after login?

It may be that the input proxy tried to start too early - which would be
a bug in service dependencies. Check logs with `journalctl` in sys-usb,
search for lines related to udev and/or input-proxy.

Anyway, in such a case, simply reconnecting the device (even to the same
port) should fix the issue.

> Last problem (maybe should be posted in a new thread):
>
> the main motivation for testing Qubes 3.2 for me was the USB
> passtrough because it would nice for me to connect a WiFi dongle or a
> Android smartphone with tethering. After install it (on my parent's
> house), I tested the WiFi dongle. It was attached fine, but on the
> dest VM it complained about unexpected errors and suggested a cable
> problem.

USB passthrough is quite tricky and unfortunately some devices may not
work. We just use USBIP driver, which according to our tests behaves the
best from available options.
You may have better luck asking on linu...@vger.kernel.org, for help
with USBIP driver. Include lsusb -v output for that device. If you
decide so, please cc me.

> With the Android tethering it worked fine.
>
> But now, when I try to attach it to a VM it says:
> "ERROR: Device attach failed: Invalid speed recieved"

I guess that "Invalid speed received" is actually nothing received at
all. It's probably some problem at sys-usb side, check logs there,
including ~user/.xsession-errors.

> It also says when doing any qvm-usb command:
> "Invalid 3-7 device desc in VM 'sys-usb'"
>
> It's my Microsoft keyboard, but I think the error doesn't has relation
> with the other error.

That's interesting. Can you post output of:

qubesdb-multiread /qubes-usb-devices/3-7

in sys-usb?

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

donoban

Aug 1, 2016, 10:52:50 AM8/1/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 08/01/2016 04:19 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 10:05:24AM +0200, donoban wrote:
>> This could cause hilarious scenarios, you go with your cool
>> ultra secure computer to show a friend how nice is Qubes and you
>> end being unable to boot your computer. I think initramfs should
>> include most keyboard drivers as possible...
>
> If you like to modify hardware, it's good idea to disable host-only
> mode in /etc/dracut.conf. This will include most of the drivers.
>
> Otherwise, I think it's actually a feature to have as little as
> possible drivers in initramfs, as sys-usb nor sys-net are running
> yet.

I only want to unlock my hard disk if I'm using a different keyboard.
Adding most common keyboard/USB HID drivers should be enough. I will
look at it.

>> After recreating the initramfs I could unlock my hard disk, but
>> when I went to the login screen, the keyboard didn't work! And
>> the mouse didn't work too! Well, I have a Dell monitor with USB
>> ports. I have both keyboard and mouse connected directly to the
>> monitor. I disconnected the keyboard from the monitor and
>> connected it directly to the computer and I could login into my
>> xfce session. Few seconds after login, the mouse started to work,
>> I disconnected the keyboard from the computer and reconnected to
>> the monitor and it worked fine. What could be happening? Is
>> sys-usb supposed to wait for do something after login?
>
> It may be that the input proxy tried to start too early - which
> would be a bug in service dependencies. Check logs with
> `journalctl` in sys-usb, search for lines related to udev and/or
> input-proxy.
>
> Anyway, in such a case, simply reconnecting the device (even to the
> same port) should fix the issue.

I will check when I reboot because now my log is full of messages like
this:
sys-usb kernel: holtek_mouse 0003:04D9:A067.000C: control queue full

When it happens the keyboard gets stuck on some key and the mouse goes
very slow (50% of cpu usage on sys-usb), I need to disconnect and
reconnect the mouse. Maybe it's something related to the linux kernel,
I will investigate it.

>> Last problem (maybe should be posted in a new thread):
>
>> the main motivation for testing Qubes 3.2 for me was the USB
>> passtrough because it would nice for me to connect a WiFi dongle
>> or a Android smartphone with tethering. After install it (on my
>> parent's house), I tested the WiFi dongle. It was attached fine,
>> but on the dest VM it complained about unexpected errors and
>> suggested a cable problem.
>
> USB passthrough is quite tricky and unfortunately some devices may
> not work. We just use USBIP driver, which according to our tests
> behaves the best from available options. You may have better luck
> asking on linu...@vger.kernel.org, for help with USBIP driver.
> Include lsusb -v output for that device. If you decide so, please
> cc me.

Ok, I will consider when I stabilize other things :)

>> With the Android tethering it worked fine.
>
>> But now, when I try to attach it to a VM it says: "ERROR: Device
>> attach failed: Invalid speed recieved"
>
> I guess that "Invalid speed received" is actually nothing received
> at all. It's probably some problem at sys-usb side, check logs
> there, including ~user/.xsession-errors.
>
>> It also says when doing any qvm-usb command: "Invalid 3-7 device
>> desc in VM 'sys-usb'"
>
>> It's my Microsoft keyboard, but I think the error doesn't has
>> relation with the other error.
>
> That's interesting. Can you post output of:
>
> qubesdb-multiread /qubes-usb-devices/3-7
>
> in sys-usb?

Yes, it says:
user@sys-usb:~$ qubesdb-multiread /qubes-usb-devices/3-12_3
/desc = 045e:00db Microsoft_Natural\xc2\xae_Ergonomic_Keyboard_4000
/usb-ver = 2

Regards.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 1, 2016, 11:46:13 AM8/1/16

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 04:52:42PM +0200, donoban wrote:

> On 08/01/2016 04:19 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 10:05:24AM +0200, donoban wrote:
> >> This could cause hilarious scenarios, you go with your cool
> >> ultra secure computer to show a friend how nice is Qubes and you
> >> end being unable to boot your computer. I think initramfs should
> >> include most keyboard drivers as possible...
> >
> > If you like to modify hardware, it's good idea to disable host-only
> > mode in /etc/dracut.conf. This will include most of the drivers.
> >
> > Otherwise, I think it's actually a feature to have as little as
> > possible drivers in initramfs, as sys-usb nor sys-net are running
> > yet.
> >

> I only want to unlock my hard disk if I'm using a different keyboard.
> Adding most common keyboard/USB HID drivers should be enough. I will
> look at it.

Indeed it makes sense.

> >> It also says when doing any qvm-usb command: "Invalid 3-7 device
> >> desc in VM 'sys-usb'"
> >
> >> It's my Microsoft keyboard, but I think the error doesn't has
> >> relation with the other error.
> >
> > That's interesting. Can you post output of:
> >
> > qubesdb-multiread /qubes-usb-devices/3-7
> >
> > in sys-usb?
> >

> Yes, it says:
> user@sys-usb:~$ qubesdb-multiread /qubes-usb-devices/3-12_3
> /desc = 045e:00db Microsoft_Natural\xc2\xae_Ergonomic_Keyboard_4000
> /usb-ver = 2
>
> Regards.

It's probably because of ® character here...

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab