R4.0-rc1 on T470: unable to boot (reboot loop)

rysiek

Sep 16, 2017, 9:16:33 AM9/16/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

first of all, hello. Been meaning to sign up for this list for some time, some
of you might remember me from the IRC channel (from when I was setting up my
own Qubes devel builds).

Anywhoo. I decided to give R4.0-rc1 a spin on my Thinkpad T470, and after
successfully going through the installation process, I am stuck at this issue:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/Pf1Cd87KSsk

Selecting any of the two options in GRUB ends up rebooting the device. Tried
removing "quiet" from kernel options, nothing changed. Any suggestions on how
can I get some debugging output?

QubesOS R3.2 does not run on T470s at all (old kernel vs. new hardware; new
hardware clearly wins).

Thanks!

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147
GPG Key Transition :: http://rys.io/en/147
signature.asc

rysiek

Sep 17, 2017, 12:08:04 PM9/17/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dnia Saturday, September 16, 2017 3:16:16 PM CEST rysiek pisze:
> Selecting any of the two options in GRUB ends up rebooting the device. Tried
> removing "quiet" from kernel options, nothing changed. Any suggestions on
> how can I get some debugging output?

Problem solved.

For the record, the solution was removing `iommu=no-igfx` from Xen params.
Without it, R4-rc1 boots fine on a T470.
signature.asc

The Golden Rule

Sep 21, 2017, 1:40:08 PM9/21/17
to qubes-users
I just recently had the same issue with a Dell Latitude E6430.

I did a complete and full install the it would boot loop right after the grub loader.

I went into the bios settings for the processor and disabled speedstep, anything that has to do with boosting the performance of the processor. I disabled

I did leave HT Technology enabled.

This may or may not be an issue with every model but its something to take note on.