Disk password

tbenne...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2017, 1:48:11 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
Haven’t used my computer for a few months, can’t remember the disk password to boot the os. Possible to change it?

rysiek

Nov 19, 2017, 2:08:31 PM11/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 10:48:11 AM UTC tbenne...@gmail.com wrote:
> Haven’t used my computer for a few months, can’t remember the disk password
> to boot the os. Possible to change it?

The whole point of full disk encryption is making sure that without the
password nobody can get in... So, no.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147
GPG Key Transition :: http://rys.io/en/147
signature.asc

tbenne...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2017, 2:15:01 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
I have bitcoin in a vm wallet. So it turns into a very costly issue.

rysiek

Nov 19, 2017, 2:42:48 PM11/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:15:01 AM UTC tbenne...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have bitcoin in a vm wallet. So it turns into a very costly issue.

Depending on how much time and money you're willing to invest, how long and
complicated the password is, and how much of the password you remember, you
might be able bruteforce your way in.

Qubes uses LUKS to encrypt the disk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

There is a number of LUKS bruteforcing tools you might try and resources you
might dive into:
https://github.com/glv2/bruteforce-luks
http://irq5.io/2014/11/19/bruteforcing-luks-volumes-explained/
https://www.hacker10.com/other-computing/brute-force-linux-encryption-with-luks-volume-cracker/

Note the second link -- it talks about LUKS headers, which is the only thing
you need to copy off of your drive to start bruteforcing on other machines.
Don't try bruteforcing on your laptop, it will take forever. Instead, get the
LUKS header off of it, get some solid CPU power somewhere and use that.

When I needed to recover a lost LUKS password (it was a 6-word diceware
passphrase, 4 words and the first letter of the 5th I remembered), it took me
~30h of bruteforcing on some 20 cores to get it.

Good luck!
signature.asc

tbenne...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2017, 3:48:54 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
Mine was 22 letters symbols and numbers.

Finsh

Nov 19, 2017, 3:57:39 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
If you remember it that specific, you probably know at least parts of the password? Otherwise, it would be almost impossible to bruteforce such a long Password.

tbenne...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2017, 4:29:04 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
I have no idea the order any of it was put in

rysiek

Nov 19, 2017, 4:30:50 PM11/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 1:29:03 PM UTC tbenne...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have no idea the order any of it was put in

You can still try to bruteforce it, but I would start getting used to the fact
that the contents of this drive are lost for good.
signature.asc

Finsh

Nov 19, 2017, 5:32:24 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
Well...at that point you should get used to the fact that the btc are lost.Depending on the Amount, it would be most likely more expensive bruteforcing it.
Are you absolutely sure you dont have your wallet-seed somewhere?

tbenne...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2017, 7:44:01 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
Everything was on that computer. I’ll give it a while to try to figure it out. If I can’t get in it I’ll just wipe it all and try to forget about it. As most of you knot btc has risen to a ridiculous amount. Considering what I paid for the btc I have on this computer and the profit I’d have now.. makes me sick.
Message has been deleted

rigged...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2017, 7:51:00 PM11/19/17
to qubes-users
I guess you could keep the disk around for the highly unlikely event that some fatal exploit is discovered that would be applicable here. It's probably better to pretend it never existed, though, for the time being.