Qubes 4rc3: More space needed on the / filesystem.

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Jan 3, 2018, 11:16:13 AM1/3/18
to qubes-users
Hello everyone,

I am trying to install texlive on a fedora-26 template vm. The package is quite big, nevertheless it is correctly downloaded. After this, when the actual installation process would be supposed to start, it fails with the message:

At least *MB more space needed on the / filesystem

I have tried to use qvm-block to attach some cache file to the vm (as suggested, for instance, in ( https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade-21-to-23/ )
but giving

qvm-block attach fedora-26 cachefile.img

produces the error

qvm-block: error: backend vm 'dom0' doesn't expose device 'cachefile.img'

How do I solve this? I read around that qvm-block is buggy with loop devices, but I am not sure this is the kind of problem I am facing. I also supposed this may have something to do with having a sys-usb VM (the references I found to qvm-block usage are all very outdated and antecedent to the sys-usb era), but then again I don't know precisely how should I proceed.

Cheers,
Fab

Tom Zander

Jan 3, 2018, 1:27:30 PM1/3/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Fabrizio Romano Genovese
On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 16:16:13 GMT Fabrizio Romano Genovese wrote:
> I am trying to install texlive on a fedora-26 template vm. The package is
> quite big, nevertheless it is correctly downloaded. After this, when the
> actual installation process would be supposed to start, it fails with the
> message:
>
> At least *MB more space needed on the / filesystem

Have you considered making the root filesystem of your VM have more space?

In the settings dialog for a VM its the "System storage max size" item which
you can change. Be aware that the VM likely needs to restart to access the
extra space.

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Jan 4, 2018, 6:54:34 AM1/4/18
to qubes-users

I did and I solved the problem now, thanks. I have to say that the problem here was the absence of qubes-manager: I wasn't able to see where to set the root partition dimensions. Also, I am using i3, so the idea of moving "all the relevant stuff" to the start menu is like saying "we really, really hate our i3 users" :D

Cheers,
Fab