Cannot open anything from templateVM/appVM after moving to 4.x

Teqleez Motley

Oct 15, 2018, 6:08:12 AM10/15/18
to qubes-users
Hi all, I suspect that I need to change the "Main Qubes update repository" of templateVMs that originates from Qubes 3.x?

I have exported both templateVMs and stand-alone appVMs from 3.2,
and restored them seemingly successfully on 4.x as far as the backup/restore process is concerned.

Now, I can actually run updates from the Qubes Manager (GUI) on both the templateVMs and the stand-alone appVM, but I cannot open any windows from them.
Cannot even open terminal in the templateVM. When trying, nothing happens other than the VM is started and showing green status, and remains open until I shut it down from the Qubes Manager.

I think that the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qubes-r3.list needs to be updated/replaced.
I can see in the terminal window that appears briefly during updates (it closes afterwards, and is not possible to edit/enter), that it queries

, which I would assume is not the correct one when running that templateVM on 4.x, right?

So; Is there a dom0 command that can fix this on a running templateVM without having a native Terminal?

Regards,

awokd

Oct 15, 2018, 7:35:22 AM10/15/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Teqleez Motley:
There are multiple steps to using 3.2 templates on 4.0. You found a
couple of them, but see
https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/system/restore-3.2.md
for some more.